Of five days worked, three go to pay taxes

I pay 33% of gross salary here in deductions (which include the "obra social"), not taking employer's contributions into account. Can't read the paywalled article, though, so I'm not sure how they get 60% deductions.
Frank,

Download the linked file to the article - That should allow you to read it.

Do you live here?
I live here now.

About taxes, I avoid paying IVA to the central government but pay my San Isidro taxes without complain. We get good value for our money: a great public hospital, clean streets, daily trash pickups, good street lighting, new underpasses, an ever-increasing park system, restored riverside, etc.

Generally when looking at the total tax burden, it’s not just income tax at play which is not so bad in Argentina (with the exception that the full rate kicks in earlier than other countries due to low thresholds and fewer deductibles) Even a 7% tax on dividends is hardly a grotesque rate of taxation and I would argue is fair given the high levels of corporate taxation on various levels and in various forms.

Where one really pays a lot of tax is on consumption of goods and services, transactions and even wealth. It’s not just IVA, it’s the 28,956 different taxes along the supply chain that are all build into the price we pay or chip away at our earnings. There was a study to show how much of the price of a bottle of Orange Juice in a supermarket here goes towards tax - answer: an obscene amount, more tax than fruit. Hence governments here are so obsessed about “consumo” and prefer to freeze prices rather than give tax breaks.

For sure it funds a large portion of these things - but compared to the value you buy with your tax in EU, Japan or Canada etc. the 20 something % of the population in Argentina that are part of the private sector and subject to taxation get fairly little in return.

The wonderful Argentine government decided that Argentines are still not paying enough taxes. The wealth tax introduced last year (impuesto PAIS) is not enough, the government wants to also slap an extraordinary tax of 2 to 3,5% on the rich. Lead by project manager Maximo Kirchner.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/politic...o-proyecto-gravar-grandes-fortunas-nid2434178
https://www.lanacion.com.ar/economi...-escribio-proyecto-espera-sesiones-nid2358893

Also under investigation: to increase the impuesto a las ganancias for the middle class:

Wouldn't it be Peronism if it were not obsessed with parting Argentines from their money? Wouldn't it be Peronism if it would then also not chronically spend more than it can get?

Let me guess, all these measures will turn out to be contraproductive... But it will be the fault of someone else. The never ending soap opera of Argentina and mystery why people keep electing these politicians.

Back