Official: Néstor Kirchner pipeline is ‘45% complete,’ will be ready by June

Remember when Macri, in a decision of colossal stupidity, canceled the construction of Argentina's 3rd communications satellite, and sold the orbital slot where it was planned to go?

When the conservatives get in office, watch them cancel this pipeline. They always make decisions which reduce Argentina's ability to supply its own needs, and keep it enslaved to foreign interests.

Remember when Macri, in a decision of colossal stupidity, canceled the construction of Argentina's 3rd communications satellite, and sold the orbital slot where it was planned to go?

When the conservatives get in office, watch them cancel this pipeline. They always make decisions which reduce Argentina's ability to supply its own needs, and keep it enslaved to foreign interests.
We must live in two different Argentinas.

We must live in two different Argentinas.
I live in the one where Menem gave away the electrical company to investors, who have flipped Edenor something like 5 times since then, each time gaining private profits, putting more debt on the company, and lessening capital available for investment in service. Oh, and they have also had a steady diet of 30 years or so of stock buybacks, which transfer more debt to the customers and state.

I live in the one where Menem gave away the electrical company to investors, who have flipped Edenor something like 5 times since then, each time gaining private profits, putting more debt on the company, and lessening capital available for investment in service. Oh, and they have also had a steady diet of 30 years or so of stock buybacks, which transfer more debt to the customers and state.
That sounds more like the one I live in.

Yeah but Menem wasn't "a true Peronist™" as some Ks would say, despite the warm feelings people like Alberto and Cristina had for him even 20 years after he destroyed the country's economy for generations.

One of the most difficult things about being a left wing person in Argentina is how Peronists from Menem though Alberto have convinced people that anything the government does is bad because of their complete ineptitude, incompetence, and corruption. Milei thrives because the Argentine state doesn't help people, and he can smugly turn around a sell his grift that the "Free Market" will solve everything, which will just make him and his cronies rich while the cycle repeats itself, committing the very sins he accuses the "caste" of.

I wouldnt consider Menem a Peronist at all- but basically, Peronist is undefinable- I have a lot of friends who can argue what it is for a week solid, and never agree.
Menem privatized all kinds of things that Peron had socialized.
He helped the 100 or so rich families to buy state industries at a pittance of value, and he pretty much followed the neocon bankers ideas from the US and Europe.
A lot of things that were actually intentionally done for sound economic reasons (even if these were debatable by different economists) are all lumped in as "corruption".
Certainly, there is tons of corruption, although not on the scale of, say, the USA...
But the idea that it was "corruption" or "incompetence" that lead to Peron instituting a series of rules and laws to encourage Argentine industry, and discourage imports, to subsidize health, housing and education for workers, to keep strong unions- these were all deliberate decisions, made for reasons that, while many may not agree with, were indeed economic theories, and, in many ways, have kept the existence of a middle class in Argentina alive.

It's supposed to be ready and operating in June, in 45 days??

It's supposed to be ready and operating in June, in 45 days??
The article is very poorly written; at one point they say "next winter". Just WTF does "next" mean here? 2023 or 2024?

But if you look very carefully, that 45 days is just a projected ETA for completion of the first stage. They haven't even sent out the tender for the contract on the second stage. "A second section will extend another 467 kilometres northwards, reaching San Jerónimo, 400 kilometres north of the capital"

Sloppy journalism pisses me off severely.

The article is very poorly written; at one point they say "next winter". Just WTF does "next" mean here? 2023 or 2024?
Many of the BATimes articles are translations of articles from the parent publication Perfil.com. This is the case for this one story
The other better written business articles are shared from native English reporting in Bloomberg that are republished thru a partnership to BAtimes.

Back