Oh, look, the US media noticed Argentina

I'm not going to comment on the ins and outs of the health service here. I prefer to focus on the fact that they found her alive. What a joy for them. I sincerely hope the baby prospers.

gpop said:
Yes, but Canada is in North America and I can tell you from being a [frequent :rolleyes:] visitor to the emergency ward... THERE IS NO BETTER MEDICAL CARE!
Canadian public hospitals rival the best facilities and training than anywhere else, public or private. I had Swiss Med. here is BA and I can say with confidence that I've been to better public hospitals in Canada for FREE!

IN CANADA : Fell upside down from a over 3 metre ladder down to the concrete sidewalk.

Broke my fall with my left hand , but also broke both bones just under the wrist. Nasty fracture. From the ambulance to the emegency room to the orthopedic surgery to the follow up meetings and xrays, everything was top notch. Not only did I get top rate care right down the line, but everyone in the health care system that I dealt with throughout this experience was extremely nice, friendly and helpfull.

It is then that I realised, something I took forgranted beforehand : I am so fortunate to have access to quality free public healthcare.

My experience was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, so I can't vouch for the quality of the healthcare elsewhere in the country.

I'll avoid the debate on health care in Argentina. This was a mistake that could have happened anywhere.

I will just say that I am glad that they found the baby and I hope that she'll grow to live a normal, happy life. I hope the parents are doing well with this. I can't imagine how I'd feel if it had been my daughter.

OK, I'm sorry.
I wasn't trying to turn this into any kind of debate of what country has better medical care, but this story does stir deep personal feelings to me because my little girl could have been a protagonist in a story much like this.

She was born at 28 weeks, 490 grams but a fighter all the way! I was in the process of getting a job the same week that she was born, so when my wife was interned, I had no insurance and we had to go to a public hospital. Then because of her fragile state, we didn't dare move her to the Swiss med facilities.

Prior to that, my wife and I went through an ordeal that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy... when a doctor tells you that your child will not survive, that she would die in the womb. I was convinced that the doctor in la provincia was wrong and that we would go to another hospital. To me it seemed to easy to just throw in the towel without giving her the chance to fight.

We met with a team of doctors in another hospital who decided that they would perform an emergency c-section and try to save my daughter (this is why I said before: Some doctors are well trained and conscientious, some are not). During her stay at the new hospital she has had 2 heart operations, several bouts of infection, apnea... oh so many problems. Had we stayed in la provincia, this story may have come out just like the OP's post, because as small as she was, she was a determined little girl, and some people are too quick to chalk it up to a days work.

I praised the doctors for saving my daughter, but 6 months interned in the premature critical care ward, you get to see other things happening too. Nurses opening sterile packets with their teeth. Going from one child to the next without even washing their hands during an infectious epidemic in the ward. Drinking mate and socializing when babies with apnea stop breathing, alarms sounding and no one comes.

Every week you would hear about 1 or 2 deaths, each time wondering if your child is next, and you get angry because you start to add up all the shitty things you see, then you start to learn to do the nurses or doctors job purely for saving your own child.

Again, those who are good are very good, others put fear in your heartl; but how can you tell them apart?

Eventually my daughter pulled through and we took her home. She developed a problem in her chest because of over-exposure to oxygen while in the oxygen tent in the incubator. Last year she had the top thoracic surgeon in BA perform the surgery to cut the ribs that were curling inward and putting pressure on her heart and lungs.

Again, give and take, good and bad; but this does give me pause to think- would it have been this way if we were in a Canadian hospital? Could we have avoided all of these problems? I am inclined to say yes, but I will concede that thanks to the good group we eventually found, my girl is alive and healthy today. I pray for the that Luz Milagros pulls through because no parent should face the death of their child.

All the crappy things happen because people are not properly trained, but moreover, are not motivated to do this kind of work. Government at all levels should be focusing on this, not their current money grubbing, patriotic bullshit scandals. But of course, it is usually left with the same tired old saying : "eso es lo que está en Argentina..."

Where the hell is the post edit/delete button :mad::mad::mad: !!!

When in Des Moines, Iowa in 1994 a premature baby was pronounced dead and later found alive. Mistakes are possible anywhere. Medical care is not perfect anywhere. What surprised me about the AP coverage was that it had a headline from Buenos Aires, making it look like it happened in a teaching hospital. I believe physician training in Argentina is as good as anywhere, but it is true that nursing training is lacking, and cleanliness and equipment need improvement in Argentina.

Back