Oh, look, the US media noticed Argentina

Still a pretty incredible story. I wouldn't be surprised to find it happens fairly often around the world.

Outlandish things happen everywhere... still a very sad and incredible story. :eek:

I hope the baby girl pulls through and has no permanent damage.

Rufina wasn't so lucky, because they didn't have a refrigerated morgue for holding people back then.

captainmcd said:
I did notice this article on several outlets here. It makes Argentine medical care look bad, which I think is not an accurate assessment. Even at Pedro Elizalde I have found excellent physicians who would not make this kind of error.

Would you make the same assessment regarding the nursing staff? I could tell you a whopper of a story that would make your toes curl!

Some doctors are well trained and conscientious, some are not; unfortunately it's not always the well trained doctors that are administering care to a patient. I found nurses at the public hospitals to be very lacking in BASIC hygienic practices, and gross negligence of hospital protocol.

And as always, ALWAYS get a second, or third, or fourth opinion... doctors are still prone to human folly and vice. I've seen too many public hospital doctors lost in their cell phone chatting, and drinking mate instead of properly treating patients right in front of them.

At home in a private care hospital, my grandfather wasn't well and we went to visit him. I could hear a horrible sound as we walked to his room. Outside there was a group of doctors and nurses chatting and laughing 3 metres from his door and easily within earshot. I went into his room and he was nearly dead from choking!

I ran, got help and after it all got sorted I exploded at the staff. They had no reply, no excuse and they nearly cost a man his life. This was in a private care hospital, one of the best in the country. Go into any hospital public or private, in any part of the world and you will see and hear about terrible mistakes being made. Human error, underpayed, overworked staff. Same everywhere…

Always get a second, third, fourth opinion no matter where you are. Argentina, USA, Australia…

I was taken to the Sanatorio Trinidad with a ruptured appendix a few years ago. I have never encountered - or even heard of - comparably great care at any hospital in the US. Three doctors met the ambulance when we arrived at the guardia, and I had a dedicated team working on me through the night.

The facilities are top-rate, the staff is skilled, knowledgeable, caring, and available. Example: when I was taken to my room, my primary nurse welcomed me and apologized that she might not be able to respond to me immediately because she had 3 other patients to care for!

After that experience, I stopped worrying about Argentine health care. When I travel to North America these days, I buy a cheap traveler's policy that would cover stabilizing me in an emergency situation and then getting me as quickly as possible back here, where I can get better care that I would find anywhere in the US.

jimdepalermo said:
I was taken to the Sanatorio Trinidad with a ruptured appendix a few years ago. I have never encountered - or even heard of - comparably great care at any hospital in the US. Three doctors met the ambulance when we arrived at the guardia, and I had a dedicated team working on me through the night.

The facilities are top-rate, the staff is skilled, knowledgeable, caring, and available. Example: when I was taken to my room, my primary nurse welcomed me and apologized that she might not be able to respond to me immediately because she had 3 other patients to care for!

After that experience, I stopped worrying about Argentine health care. When I travel to North America these days, I buy a cheap traveler's policy that would cover stabilizing me in an emergency situation and then getting me as quickly as possible back here, where I can get better care that I would find anywhere in the US.

Yes, but Canada is in North America and I can tell you from being a [frequent :rolleyes:] visitor to the emergency ward... THERE IS NO BETTER MEDICAL CARE!
Canadian public hospitals rival the best facilities and training than anywhere else, public or private. I had Swiss Med. here is BA and I can say with confidence that I've been to better public hospitals in Canada for FREE!

Back