OK, I'm Having a Meltdown

ElQueso said:
I laughed at remembering how difficult it was to live a stable, non-shifting life, constantly worried about what my daily ATM limit was and when I had to have the wad of cash required for my next lease. Carrying suitcases down to the curb and getting a cab to install me in my next apartment. A lot of fun sometimes.

This paragraph really spoke to me. haha. I was that person... lugging around two HUGE suitcases trying to find a taxi this morning...

For me, I've been here long enough that I just let it roll off my back. You just have to go with the flow here. I don't fight it or try to control it too much. I find this makes life a bit easier.

Just go with the flow... y todo se va a resolver! :) Suerte!

You can also try www.soloduenos.com if your friend speaks good Spanish. Out of the temp rental agencies, ByT is reputable, I have used them to rent apts for friends and relatives.

i used adelsur a few times they are ok.. it depends on what you want to spend... but try craigslist.... you might luck into a good rental there from a english speaking owner...

you have to tell us if you found something...... i hope it all works out

Hola Fellow Adventurers,

Yes, I'll tell everyone how it all works out. I looked at a house today owned by a BA couple. It had everything but a good kitchen (and I like to cook). They were very nice and took me out for a parilla for lunch.

I found them on the vacation rentals by owners website. No more agencies for me!

I have to sleep on it tonight.

Victoria

True: thank this mess to local populist politicians. In the good old USA, if you do not pay the rent, the marshalls will kick the doors down and drag you from your... eyelids.
Here,the owner is the moster that is "taking advantage" of the poorer family, and since he is richer, he could easily be defrauded. The goverment es seen as a giantic Robin Hood of sorts.
Here wealth is associated with sin, (only the poor go to heaven, as you know).
Due to this situation, owners are very skitish as to whom they rent, I know people that lost their second homes that were rented. According to the goverment officials, if they hay already one home they did not need the other, the poor family needed it more! I am not kidding.
Good Luck

Yes, it's frustrating. But as Henry pointed out, people here are very (and rightly so) cautious about renting out their property.

I had a friend who rented out a house in the campo. The person TRASHED her property, didn't pay her a penny and it took 2 years & lots of lawyers fees to get the person evicted. And she was one of the lucky ones and got her property back.

You should check out ByT Argentina (www.bytargentina.com) for temporary rentals. We used them when we first got here and they were very professional, spoke English, and we didn't have to pay a large deposit.

Pete

My husband & I got back from BA 3 days ago. Had a blast. Stayed at lovely apt for $250 per week thru agency BYT Argentina (email bytargentina.com). I don't know the maximum length of time they accept, but assume they could arrange longer time periods than 2 or 3 weeks.

Back