Ombú Vs. Pampas Grass As Symbol Of The Pampas

The sun is used in the war flags only while the flag was done by Belgrano during war. I don't think an ombu can show that you are facing a fierce army.
Argentina was peacefull for the last 140 years but before that it was like the war times in japan.

True, Bajo_cero2. The current Argentinian flag is the war flag. However, it looks a lot happier than the plain one thanks to the sun!

I don't think the Ombú's silhouette is very recognizable. It is quite hard to draw the roots, which are its main features, and it has very dark green leaves and dark trunk.

But if you could draw a color logo, I think the jacarandá (a plant native of Asia, if I am not mistaken) is a lot nicer and equally associated with Buenos Aires (but not with the pampa).
Also the palo borracho is quite recognizable by its silhouette and has very large and nice flowers (white and pink), that spring in February (while the jacarandá comes into flower in November).

True, Bajo_cero2. The current Argentinian flag is the war flag. However, it looks a lot happier than the plain one thanks to the sun!

I don't think the Ombú's silhouette is very recognizable. It is quite hard to draw the roots, which are its main features, and it has very dark green leaves and dark trunk.

But if you could draw a color logo, I think the jacarandá (a plant native of Asia, if I am not mistaken) is a lot nicer and equally associated with Buenos Aires (but not with the pampa).
Also the palo borracho is quite recognizable by its silhouette and has very large and nice flowers (white and pink), that spring in February (while the jacarandá comes into flower in November).

The jacaranda is native to South and Central America, not Asia, but it has been introduced to other warm parts of the world, including parts of Asia, Africa, and Australia.

I'm wondering why the ceibo, and not the palo borracho, became the national flower of both Argentina and Uruguay? Also, why couldn't Argentina do the ceibo and Uruguay the palo borracho, or vice versa - because Uruguay seemed to copy Argentina in terms of symbols in general (including the Sun of May)?

Because Uruguay was in the same virreynato (del Rio de la Plata) as Argentina for so many years, I guess. And because you can draw a line on a map but only the might Mother Nature can draw her own borders.

Let's ask a related question: If Argentina and/or Uruguay hadn't adopted the Sun of May as the national emblem (to put on flags, coats of arms, etc.), would they have adopted instead the ombú, or the ceibo, or the cortadera, or what (much like Canada has the maple leaf, Australia the golden wattle, and New Zealand the silver fern as national emblems - though the latter two not on their flags, yet)?
The national flower of Argentina and Uruguay is the flower of the ceibo.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rcrt Expat Life 11
gracielle Expat Life 2
Ries Food and Drink 3
C Expat Life 1
M Expat Life 2
Back