On Cars, Roads, And Financing

elchino

Registered
Hi everyone, hope all is well. I just got back from a vacation to córdoba via buses. It was not what I imagined. Buses are way too slow and seem to stop in every town. It took 12 hours one way...anyway the post is not about ranting on the public transport. I'm kinda determined to get a car for my next trip.

1. Cars
What about those french cars? Peugeot, Citroen, and Renault. I've never driven any. They are not on the US market, very little empirical info. However, it seems that Argentinians love french cars. They really worth looking into? So far my safe bet is Honda Fit. I've had one in the states. But I heard Hondas in Argentina are made in Brazil. Would that make any difference?

2. Roads
One thing I noticed on the trip is that the driver of the bus never used any highway ( equivalent of interstate highway). Is it because that he wanted to avoid tolls, or there's not much of a divided highway network? How is the toll system in Argentina? Flat entering fee or a variable charge based on distance traveled?

3. Financing
I only have DNI and temporary residency, can I be qualified for any financing program? I'm thinking buy a new car and take advantage of some low interests financiación. From what I know that in the US, only green card holder or citizen can have financing or taking out loans because of risk of flight. I'm guess Argentina must have similar rules. If that's the case, I'll probably have my girlfriend apply for the financing and later down the road transfer the title to me, assuming that there's no sales tax levied on transfer of title.

Any tips will be appreciated

Hi everyone, hope all is well. I just got back from a vacation to córdoba via buses. It was not what I imagined. Buses are way too slow and seem to stop in every town. It took 12 hours one way...anyway the post is not about ranting on the public transport. I'm kinda determined to get a car for my next trip.

1. Cars
What about those french cars? Peugeot, Citroen, and Renault. I've never driven any. They are not on the US market, very little empirical info. However, it seems that Argentinians love french cars. They really worth looking into? So far my safe bet is Honda Fit. I've had one in the states. But I heard Hondas in Argentina are made in Brazil. Would that make any difference?

2. Roads
One thing I noticed on the trip is that the driver of the bus never used any highway ( equivalent of interstate highway). Is it because that he wanted to avoid tolls, or there's not much of a divided highway network? How is the toll system in Argentina? Flat entering fee or a variable charge based on distance traveled?

3. Financing
I only have DNI and temporary residency, can I be qualified for any financing program? I'm thinking buy a new car and take advantage of some low interests financiación. From what I know that in the US, only green card holder or citizen can have financing or taking out loans because of risk of flight. I'm guess Argentina must have similar rules. If that's the case, I'll probably have my girlfriend apply for the financing and later down the road transfer the title to me, assuming that there's no sales tax levied on transfer of title.

Quite simply you took the wrong bus. Try http://www.plataforma10.com/ and get a suite or exjecutive and it is 8 hours direct on a great highway. I have done it many times. Get the over night they feed you.

1) The french cars are very good. They are made ( mostly) in Argentina , so parts and mechanics are readily available. But one of the car magazines at a news stand and they list all cars sold here , price , origin etc.....
2) The only 4 lane near interstate grade roads are near CF and Rosario to Cordoba.
3) You need to inquire about financing. you can put down a certain amount , then have fixed quota's in pesos. So as the pesos dives , the payments go down.

DO not get insurance from the dealer . They will over charge.

Good Luck.

There is another option, rent a car for your next trip. We decided not to buy, we rent, go on roads I would never take my own car on and have a great time. Also, I don't have to wash a rented car!
Nancy

1. Cars

2. Roads

3. Financing

You had taken the wrong bus, you have to take a direct night bus they go always at the maximun speed allowed to them 100 (some time they pass that speed when everybody is sleeping lol) so they don't go slow for buss standard that for sure, they go throught the fast roads and don't get into every town around, they always depart on night. A trip to Cordoba by bus is 8:30 in the bus i use and very few busses take much longer than that unless you take the one that pass thorught ever town.

Back