On Opening Bank Accounts...

Thanks so much for all the ideas! I see I still have plenty to get my head around.

I'm familiar with the blue rate, which is why I'll be arriving in Argentina with a lot of dollars stashed around my person. Unfortunately, I can't use Xoom to get good exchange rates as I'm British and don't have a US account to transfer the money, although I do have a current account here in the UK that allows for free transactions worldwide, including ATM withdrawals. I know this would be at the official pound sterling/ peso rate, which sucks, but it might be the only option for me once my dollars run out, and maybe will be enough if it's such a major hassle/ not worth it to open a current account with an Argentinean bank. I take it that people don't have much confidence in the banking system since the crisis, or are have you found things are becoming increasingly unstable recently?

I'm familiar with the blue rate, which is why I'll be arriving in Argentina with a lot of dollars stashed around my person. Unfortunately, I can't use Xoom to get good exchange rates as I'm British and don't have a US account to transfer the money, although I do have a current account here in the UK that allows for free transactions worldwide, including ATM withdrawals.
Just do a trip outside Argentina every once in a while and get your dollars there and then exchange them at blue rate where you live.

You are sounding like an argie,obsessed with the green stuff!!if you have a card to draw cash at the atm,you should get over $8 per £1,which is what it is.If you want to risk carrying 10k usd then fair enough,all depends where you are going to stay and how much you will need to stay for the duration.As you will be on your way by now then this advice is probably to late for you,should have had all these things sorted in yer head weeks ago.Like most people say,it's not a normal country to bed down in
enjoy whatever you find.suerte

Back