Opening Bank account with CDI?

mikemark

Registered
I think this was covered years ago but let me ask again...I just purchased a small apartment in Palermo which required obtaining a CDI. I am unable to open a checking or savings account with CDI and passport. Everyone wants a DNI. I even opened an HSBC Expat account but after walking into local branch, they said they couldn't help me with depositing pesos amd hadn't even heard of an expat account. I can't even get internet without a DNI! Any help would be greatly appreciated or just a conformation that i HAVE to get a DNI would be great.

hsbc outside Argentina is not connected to hsbc inside Argentina. two different entities

I wrote a step by step guide last year. Banco Provincia will let you, and their bill pay service is working again for CDI accounts. You MUST go to the main branch at San Martin 137; if you try at any other branch they will laugh you out of the branch for daring to suggest you can open an account without a DNI, and leave them completely befuddled if you try to do anything related to your non-DNI account at anywhere except the main branch.

I wrote a step by step guide last year. Banco Provincia will let you, and their bill pay service is working again for CDI accounts. You MUST go to the main branch at San Martin 137; if you try at any other branch they will laugh you out of the branch for daring to suggest you can open an account without a DNI, and leave them completely befuddled if you try to do anything related to your non-DNI account at anywhere except the main branch.
Yes, @gringoexpress, and a very clear guide it is too. Several others have written excellent guides to other aspects of life here so the message to anybody reading this is:-

Before you ask something that's already been asked over and over, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS SITE! What you want to know is almost certainly waiting for you to find it.

I know Banco Ciudad was very easy for my spouse and I both to open accounts with our CDIs at the Recoleta branch. I think it was 15 minutes for mine and about 10 for hers.

Another option that might work, if you have a precaria/some form of residency, is Prex. I opened a Prex account earlier this week using my precaria + passport, and it was approved within an hour. That one is nice because I can transfer paypal to my USD Prex account and then it'll convert at CCL when I use the card.

Some banks seem to require a CUIT or CUIL, and now I am reading about CDI. I wonder which one should be obtained in order to get a bank account?

I am a bit confused about the differences between the three. And while searching I came by this website that lists all your not-so-private information if you have ever registered with a CUIT number.

@darksider415, did you need any of these numbers to open up a Prex account?

Back