One Way Ticket Discussion Yet Again

Once the airline I was working for brought a passenger from Dubai to Rio de Janeiro without a proper visa and without any onward ticket (which would be used to make sure they were only going to transit through Brazil and hence not need a visa). The immigration authorities threatened the airline with a $100,000 (USD) fine on the spot. The airline decided to fly the passenger to Buenos Aires and then back to Dubai because that was cheaper than the fine they were threatened with. Staff that failed to check the passenger's visa were promptly fired.

That is the reason I would think they checked your travel arrangements multiple times. I have traveled the world myself, mostly due to my previous job, and I always understood and knew to have all the documents on hand until I got to my seat on the airplane (the airline has the right to ask me to show documents even after I've sat down and booted up my laptop). I have been subjected to "random" checks countless times (oh Australian immigration, how I miss thee!), it can be frustrating, especially in airports where nothing is comfortable. But these folks are doing their jobs and a lot of them are extra careful because they don't want to mess up because it can not only result in them losing their jobs but inadvertently cause something more serious.

For what I've heard, it's still happening.

Maybe with groups, but I was just in the People's Republic and nothing. No one asked why I was there at immigration, no proof of anything. They stamped my passport and waved me through. Same thing when I left too.

Delta did check my passport for my visa when I got to Detroit but they barely looked at it, just to see there was one in there, nothing about validity.

When I was crossing in to Bolivia the border gaurd was going through my passport and said I was "an interesting person" because of all my stamps.

When I was in Edinburgh they gave me the 3rd degree and the immigration woman picked up a phone, dialed a number, fingered through my passport then hung up and said "Oh, you've been to Europe before and other countries" I said yes, she hung up the phone, stamped my passport and sent me on my way.

Immigration seems to depend greatly on the mood of the agent and less so on having all your documents in order from my experience.

Maybe with groups, but I was just in the People's Republic and nothing. No one asked why I was there at immigration, no proof of anything. They stamped my passport and waved me through. Same thing when I left too.

Delta did check my passport for my visa when I got to Detroit but they barely looked at it, just to see there was one in there, nothing about validity.

When I was crossing in to Bolivia the border gaurd was going through my passport and said I was "an interesting person" because of all my stamps.

When I was in Edinburgh they gave me the 3rd degree and the immigration woman picked up a phone, dialed a number, fingered through my passport then hung up and said "Oh, you've been to Europe before and other countries" I said yes, she hung up the phone, stamped my passport and sent me on my way.

Immigration seems to depend greatly on the mood of the agent and less so on having all your documents in order from my experience.

Yes Edinburgh , nice and pretty but a bloody terrible place..

The best thing in the city is the road to Glasgow

Most of the trouble would be solved, if they would mention the rule before you buy one way ticket. Or at least at online check in or whatever, but how it looks now is, that they are waiting until you are cornered at window with your luggage around with hour or less left and expecting you will buy ticket with them.

And embassy, where I explained my plan, just said "you need only your passport"...

At the same time 4 other companies I flew the same route never asked me for any additional ticket. How so? They don't fall under same rules or they are just more professional and will swallow loss on seat back, in case you are rejected? I already avoid booking alitalia and iberia, even if they are cheaper, because I find their way of handling problems inferior to others...

Back