One way ticket from Scotland

Mel

Registered
Hi all,
Im Mel from Scotland. I have just finished my degree in International Business with French & Spanish in Glasgow and am coming to Argentina at the end of August to travel/work. I would like to book a one way ticket as I don't know how long I will stay in South America...does anyone know if this is a problem if I don't have a return ticket on arrival at the airport? And if I was to look for work in a bar or restaurant for a month or so do I need any special visa? What about if I look for a professional position with a company? Thanks for the advice...cant wait to arrive !
Mel

Hi Mel,
I came in from Scotland on a one way ticket and it was no problem at all, not sure about the work visa part though?
Malissa

Hi Mel
I think it depend who you fly with as regards to your one way ticket.
Last year I flew with British Airways from Heathrom on a rtw ticket, and as the ticket for the Argetina part was over 3 months in length (Lon-Bs As Feb & Bs As - Aukland July). British airways nearly did not let me get on the flight I was over the 3 month tourist visa.
They did let me on in the end, so its not this side (Argentina) that made a fuss but the airline in Britain. And just for the record they did not bat an eyelid here.
joey

It was Airfrance I flew with on my single ticket, however my boyfriend arrived in January on a single ticket with British Airways and had no problems at all?

I've flown to BA on one way tickets three times in 12 months...no questions asked!
Why I did this of course is another matter:)

Then I guess its who you are lucky enough to deal with at the check in desk, my flight was overbooked so maybe they were looking for any excuse to get rid of passengers.
But on another forum BANewcommers a guy had problems with a one way ticket, again not here but at the check in desk side.

Everytime I asked about a one-way ticket, I was always told that it costs the same as a round trip ticket (between USA and Argentina), The one-way is actually MORE EXPENSIVE than many round trips, since it´s the equivalent of "open for 1 year" I think, and you can get much cheaper round-trip tickets for 30 day, or 60 day trips. So there´s no real sense in "one-way only", especially since you never know if you might need to travel back before the year is up, even for a few days.
You might ask if this is the case now, since the most illogical thing would be to pay the same OR MORE, and not have the return trip option if you needed it. You can always stay here and lose your return trip, it´s not illegal to forfeit half your ticket, the inmigration thing is totally separate from the airfare. And showing the 2-way ticket won´t hurt you at all in dealing with your paper-work for the authorities here. In fact it may spare you from getting hassled by a nasty inmigration officer.

The issue of whether a one-way ticket will cut it or not is an issue that rests entirely with the airlines.The Argentine immigration web site states that the only requirement for entry into the country is a valid passport. Unfortunately, if you dig deeper into the immigration requirements, you will find that Argentina lays full responsibility for enforcing entry requirements with the airlines. For whatever reason, some airlines at some locations have chosen to insist that proof of the fact you are leaving Argentina within a certain period is necessary before they will board you (despite the fact they may have sold you a one-way ticket). And this proof is often interpretted to be a two-way ticket. Although I have never had this problem, many others have. You need to check with the airline you are flying with, and at the location you are flying from, to determine if you can fly here on a one-way ticket.

A few months ago I was returning from the US on the return postion of a round trip ticket originating in Buenos Aires. The American Airlines employee who checked me in insisted that I had a ONE WAY ticket (as there was no return ticket to the US). Before he would allow me to check in the employee insisted that I PROVE that I had legal residence in Argentina. Fortunately I had my DNI on me. The employee entered my DNI number and information into the computer system. I found it disturbing that I had to present a foreign document to LEAVE my own country. This was the first time I have had an incident like this in many years of trips to and from Argentina/US.

Back