one way ticket to BA

Officially you don't need a return ticket to arrive here, its mostly the airlines (like in my case) iberia trying to sell you a return ticket. Iberia made me buy a flight in Frankfurt at the airport otherwise i would be not allowed to fly... so i did and when i got to Argentina i checked and found out that a return ticket is not needed.

Thank you all soooo much!!! I went to bed feeling a little anxious last night, but you have eased my worries a bit! I think I shall just go with my 'no plan is a good plan' attitude for the moment, save as much money as I can in the states and see what happens when I land. I will, however, start planning a budget in pesos to start getting used to the currency, and will be sure to set a few months rent aside to get me started. I am so grateful for your feedback and encouragement. 8 weeks and counting..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
que linda es la vida :)

starlucia said:
If you arrive with a few months of rent money set aside, you should be fine. Teaching English will support daily expenses (food, entertainment, cell phone), but not daily expenses plus housing. And definitely not expenses, housing, plus domestic travel.

Let's do the numbers: assuming you find immediate work with an institute -- at 40 pesos an hour, teaching 20 hours a week, you would receive about AR$3,200 at the end of the month. If a room share costs $400 USD (AR$1,746) per month, that would eat up over half of your monthly salary, leaving you only AR$1,450 to live on for the next 30 days. That's impossible. But taking the housing factor out of the equation, you can get by on AR$3,200 a month.

If you want to start familiarizing yourself with the cost-of-living in peso terms, www.discovirtual.com.ar and http://www.buenosairesdelivery.com/ will allow you to see the current prices of groceries and dining out. And http://www.omnilineas.com/ will give you an idea of what bus tickets cost these days.
Super helpful starlucia! muchisimas gracias! I will looking into these sites and try to get an idea for a realistic budget. money is always a bit nerve-racking but if you want something bad enough it always works out!

I will be in touch over the next couple months. very grateful for all your advice!
-namaste

Back