One way tickets out

garygrunson

Registered
Hi,

I am trying find a ticket to US in May (Charlotte, NC). Since I am not coming back to BA anytime soon, I would like to save some money and buy a one way ticket. Of course one way tickets are usually 300 dollars more than round trip tickets.

I am carrying extra luggage too, so I was looking into non-US airlines because they offer cheaper luggage fees.

There must be some way to buy a regular priced one way ticket. Anyone have any advice or web sites?

Thanks,

Gary

You may be better off simply buying a non-refundable round-trip ticket since one-way prices are always (nowadays) unrestricted full economy fares. As an ex-airline pricing analyst, I haven't seen any one-way special fares out of LatAm in years, and they are rare out of the US as well. Try for a low round-trip to MIA, then purchase a separate one-way MIA-CLT fare (although a rt special fare may also be lower).

garygrunson said:
Hi,

I am trying find a ticket to US in May (Charlotte, NC). Since I am not coming back to BA anytime soon, I would like to save some money and buy a one way ticket. Of course one way tickets are usually 300 dollars more than round trip tickets.

I am carrying extra luggage too, so I was looking into non-US airlines because they offer cheaper luggage fees.

There must be some way to buy a regular priced one way ticket. Anyone have any advice or web sites?

Thanks,

Gary
I researched the heck out of that before I left Buenos Aires in December. No go. Just get the cheapest round trip and if you never use the return leg, oh well.

garygrunson said:
Hi,

Thanks,

Gary
There are a couple of things you can do, First you don't have to buy a true RT(Roundtrip) in order to get half the RT price, you can buy a single or double open jaw, like EZE-CLT and then MIA-LIM, a couple of months ago I had a special return leg that only cost $19.50, though that one is gone now., just play around with some different places until you find what works best for you.

Also you may wan't to think outside the box some. For example you can buy a ticket from EZE-NYC traveling in may, and then from NYC-FRA in June staying for up to 90 days then returning FRA-NYC for around $1,100( Also there is about $400 dollars in YQ on this fare which may be able to be eliminated)

How is LAN to MIA looking? Last time I checked, their spread between one-way and round-trip wasn't as insane as some American airlines. From there, you could book a cheap Airtran flight to Charlotte, possibly through Atlanta for extra pricing advantage.

Also, see what TAM (the new owners of LAN, incidentally)'s got to offer back to the US through RJ-Galeão or SP-Guarulhos. You may be surprised.

You'd most likely be going through Atlanta or NY-JFK if you went this route.

I used vayama.com to book a $600 one-way flight through TAM airlines from Charlotte to BA in September. Granted, I flew through Orlando and Sao Paolo but it was a great deal.

Y'all are so much better at this than I. If anyone comes across a one way deal out of Buenos Aires to Miami in late April, let me know !!

LaurenW, I'd love to get such a deal. No matter how hard I try it seems $1200-$1700 is about the cheapest way I can get from Atlanta to BA.

Back