Online Digital Supermarket Shopping in Crisis Argentina

This isn't groceries, but I topped up my Movistar prepaid account online.
It accepted a US credit card without issue.
Do Rappi, Coto, etc accept US credit cards?
I'm using a Arg debit card without any issues. I would be surprised if they don't accept a US credit card.
Suggest you go to Rappi and set up an account, enter your US credit card as a payment method.
Their website works well and fast. Rappi would be the easiest means of finding out.

Do Rappi, Coto, etc accept US credit cards?
YES, the supermarket chains (Coto, Carrefour, Jumbo, Disco) accept foreign credit/debit cards. The ID one uses must match the name on the card.
But they do not give cash back in pesos or other currency.

Of the different delivery services here only Rappi seems to be serious: Pedidosya fake restaurant orders, Glovo cancelled my account when I added a debit card (and slandered me by accusing me of violating their terms or service, I’d never ordered from them before so their idiocy makes no sense), I ordered from UberEats and I had to do an age verification on the delivery guy's mobile (we’re trying to avoid contact, Uber...) plus the delivery guy’s application wouldn’t let him set the status to delivered.

Rappi is annoying in that it removes categories of services or products if the shops are closed, so you can’t pre-order, the shop needs to be open to order.

Well, as Charlie Chan once said 'Someone always about to put fly in ointment'.
As so it went today with Rappi. Had ordered and received first time in late March without incident, everything went off without a hitch. There were a few days between order placement and delivery. 2nd order placed a week ago, with delivery date today, Saturday. The issue is, you make selections from one of their featured supermarkets on Rappi's website. Rappi gives a summary of the order, a delivery date, charges your CC for the amount of purchase. The impression is that Rappi has locked down your selections/order with the supermarket. They did not, and Rappi guy/personal shopper went shopping for the products today, this one at Disco, started an hour before the scheduled delivery time. Long story short there were substitutions, out of stocks, quantity changes required, a change to the final total purchase amount. Your card is charged/credited + or - depending the final total.
The long story is, the shopping and adjustments occur with your personal shopper online and live through the Rappi app in your phone. The personal shopper consults with you about the changes live, through dialogue boxes (in Spanish), in one instance I had ordered a wine glass, the one ordered not available, the shopper sent me a picture for approval of an alternative wine glass. To their credit they do their best to adjust things. Finally, it was summed up and delivered within 1/2 hour.
So, as far as digital shopping goes, although Rappi has a superior interface (website, speed, easy ordering online, brilliant live interface through app with your personal shopper, they are flawed right now with the disparity between what you order on one day and what they can actually deliver on another date, up to a week!
If Coto and Disco can get their websites working, still an IF, they may be the better play. Presumably you're ordering, they keep their stock availability up to date, they pick the order after you place it and you receive what you ordered and paid for. Vamos a ver!!

So just as an aside, so p*ssed off at the Rappi shortfalls, grabbed a big shopping bag, armed myself with alcohol spray and tissues and walked 2 blocks to one of the neighborhood Chino markets - which had everything I needed/wanted at better prices, the cashier wore latex gloves, a few nitwit Argies buzzing around in the aisles ignoring distancing, and I checked out with heavy bag and schlepped home dogging the also argie nitwits waltzing down the street here and there. Operation Saturday shopping in the time of coronavirus Out.

So just as an aside, so p*ssed off at the Rappi shortfalls, grabbed a big shopping bag, armed myself with alcohol spray and tissues and walked 2 blocks to one of the neighborhood Chino markets - which had everything I needed/wanted at better prices, the cashier wore latex gloves, a few nitwit Argies buzzing around in the aisles ignoring distancing, and I checked out with heavy bag and schlepped home dogging the also argie nitwits waltzing down the street here and there. Operation Saturday shopping in the time of coronavirus Out.
Just think of the fresh air and exercise. And last but not least, visual confirmation that there are argie nitwits waltzing down the street in your neighborhood.

Last edited:
Well, as Charlie Chan once said 'Someone always about to put fly in ointment'.
As so it went today with Rappi. Had ordered and received first time in late March without incident, everything went off without a hitch. There were a few days between order placement and delivery. 2nd order placed a week ago, with delivery date today, Saturday. The issue is, you make selections from one of their featured supermarkets on Rappi's website. Rappi gives a summary of the order, a delivery date, charges your CC for the amount of purchase. The impression is that Rappi has locked down your selections/order with the supermarket. They did not, and Rappi guy/personal shopper went shopping for the products today, this one at Disco, started an hour before the scheduled delivery time. Long story short there were substitutions, out of stocks, quantity changes required, a change to the final total purchase amount. Your card is charged/credited + or - depending the final total.
The long story is, the shopping and adjustments occur with your personal shopper online and live through the Rappi app in your phone. The personal shopper consults with you about the changes live, through dialogue boxes (in Spanish), in one instance I had ordered a wine glass, the one ordered not available, the shopper sent me a picture for approval of an alternative wine glass. To their credit they do their best to adjust things. Finally, it was summed up and delivered within 1/2 hour.
So, as far as digital shopping goes, although Rappi has a superior interface (website, speed, easy ordering online, brilliant live interface through app with your personal shopper, they are flawed right now with the disparity between what you order on one day and what they can actually deliver on another date, up to a week!
If Coto and Disco can get their websites working, still an IF, they may be the better play. Presumably you're ordering, they keep their stock availability up to date, they pick the order after you place it and you receive what you ordered and paid for. Vamos a ver!!

You might want to read my post in this thread of a few days ago about the lack of availability at Disco of the things you order online; they fulfilled only half what we ordered online.

You might want to read my post in this thread of a few days ago about the lack of availability at Disco of the things you order online; they fulfilled only half what we ordered online.
Living our lives like Generals, and learning daily.

Pleased to report that @ 9:25 pm Coto's digital shopping website is easy to sign-in, navigate and select products. This is a major improvement.
Did not place an order and arrange delivery.

Disco website, for ordering online with delivery, is working like a Swiss clock. It's unprecedented how good the website navigation is. Deliveries, as of this writing, are still a week out from order date.

I have been consistently shopping online for groceries since the mid to late 90s and hadn't set foot to one since then for the most part. My advice is go and shop in person: deliveries can be delayed for days, 0800 numers are not working because call centers are abroad and emplyees are under quarantine, you will be charged for items you wont get and will be a nightmare getting the product or money back. A lot of items that seem to be in stock are not, etc. I hate to go in person but these days is faster and safer. If you are within group of risk, ask a friend neighbor or super to help out. Just my 2 cents.

Back