Onward ticket needed for Europeans?

An airline agent once clarified to me that having an onward ticket was "recommended" but not "required". But why open yourself to a hassle at the last minute? Book and print a ferry ticket to Colonia and be done with it.

From my experience , onward travel is generally requested by the airlines. If they check in a passenger who does not have proof of onward travel plans , the airline may be fined. Therefore they have a fiscal responsibility for checking this. Generally immigrations does not check. I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and there it is more of a concern for immigrations officials , as they have strict laws regarding employment by foreigners. I always traveled with a full fare / refundable return ticket.
As for Argentina specifically , wait till next week , I am sure they will change the law , or enforce one that is already on the books but has been ignored.

I flew to BA from Madrid last week and this happened to me. I was asked for an onward ticket and told they wouldn't be able to check in without one. (I had flown to BA on a one way ticket a year ago, and as never asked)
Also another friend flew from Madrid to BA on a different airline a week before and was also told the same thing also.
I would recommend your friend have evidence of an onward flight or something!
The woman at the airline did even suggest to me booking a fully refundable ticket, then cancelling it after arriving :)

It is not a requirement by the Argentine govt.

The airlines do it because if you are denied entry, they would have to return you to your point of departure at their cost. They are simply doing it to cover themselves. (1 way tix also usually set you up for additional security screenings for obvious reasons0.

I always laugh b/c it's not like having a ferry trip does anything for them in terms of this exposure yet they still accept it. It's an easy and cheap way to deal with it and your friend probably will want to go over to Uruguay at some point anyway.

You can argue with them if they tell you it's needed but in that case, you usually need to escalate to a manager.

If you do not have a DNI for Argentina and neither you have a DNI for Uruguay, one way ticket to Argentina and a one way ticket to Uruguay would not help. Airline would like to know what about "after" Uruguay. The airlines are always very worried about your intentions as they are the weak link. If you do not return, the laws hold them responsible.

The best thing is have a ticket to some place where you are a citizen, resident, hold long term visa , work visa.

It happened to me few months ago. I was traveling from New York to Brazil on one way ticket. The airlines asked me what about "after Brazil". I had a one way ticket to UK. They said " what about "After UK!" ( I did not have long term visa either for UK for Brazil)

Go figure!

Im Dutch and ive never been asked for any tickets, just the passport and thats it. But what everyone else is saying is true, airlines do ask for it. I didnt know when id be coming back, so i bought the more expensive ticket where you can change the dates, because they told me the airline wouldnt let me board with just a one way ticket.

Ceviche said:
If you do not have a DNI for Argentina and neither you have a DNI for Uruguay, one way ticket to Argentina and a one way ticket to Uruguay would not help.

It does actually, at least for people from the US/UK. Plenty of people I know use this to avoid even arguing with the airline. And it's always accepted, I think they just want to check off a box. Again, there is no legal requirement to have another airline ticket and no, the airline is NOT responsible if you don't leave in the alloted time. What they are responsible for is returning you to the point of embarkation if you are refused entry into Argentina. And since no airline wants to take that risk, they sometimes will hassle you, esp if you are not a regular on that airline.

In 7 years of flying from Argentina/US/Argentina, I was never once asked about having onward travel (and my tix usually started/ended in BsAs or were 1 ways). And much of that was without residency. The only time I was questioned was when I was flying a different airline - from Colombia actually- and I had to show them proof of residency in Argentina.

How is the experience when flying within South America on one way ticket.

For example, flying from Argentina to Peru one way ( as a permanent resident of Argentina). Will they ask you your return ticket back from Peru

citygirl said:
It does actually, at least for people from the US/UK. Plenty of people I know use this to avoid even arguing with the airline. .

As I said yesterday, many times I fly one way, no one asks me anything. Other times, when I fly one way, they ask one hundred thousand questions. It all depends on "how lucky you are". Sometimes the airline employee is not well trained and he/she may miss asking you the question. Sometimes, the airline employee may not like your face or your accent or your body language and ask you uncomfortable questions. Sometimes you can flirt with the airline employee and get away with any queries. Its all very vague.

Its not the passport you hold, when it comes to one way ticket. One way ticket itself is supposed to be a high risk venture as far as air line is concerned. They are supposed to question you on your return plans..they want to see you going to a place where you are a citizen, permanent resident, long term visa holder, or have guarantee of a employer. Trust all clear?

But lets admit it. Sometimes, we have none of the above - When our plans are not confirmed, its better to fly one way, than end up buying a economical return ticket and pay a heavy penalty for changing dates.

I appreciate all the responses. I am glad I posted the question because, if she had listened to me when I was trying to tell her not to worry about an onward ticket, I would have felt guilty if she had ended up with a problem. So I think I am just going to have her read all your responses, herself, and figure out what she should do. I think she will probably end up buying a boat ticket to Colonia(even though she is planning to head to Patagonia). Thanks again.

Back