Opening A Bank Account In Argentina

Big Al

Registered
Can you guys please tell me the requirements to opening a bank account here in Argentina? Do I need proof of employment to be able to use the Ayuda Familiar option for sending the $1500 limit and can I use my debit card abroad say in the US to withdraw dollars from the ATM at the official rate and if so what are the limits and rules and regulations on that?

Contact your bank or the AFIP agency closest to your home address to find out the requirements for "ayuda familiar". To open a bank account you generally don't need proof of employment, but you do need proof of address and a DNI. You can not withdraw U$D from any ATM machines in the US with an Argentine bank card from an Argentine peso account. You have to have a U$D account in Argentina with dollars deposited to do that type of transacton. It's ridiculous. That was one of the many restrictions put into place by this government in 2011. You can use debit (with prior authorization before you travel) or credit cards for purchases in U$D overseas but no way to withdraw cash dollars. It really sucks!

Davidglen77 is right. You don't need to show proof of employment, but you do have to demonstrate the source of your income. Just contact the particular bank you're interest in and ask.

From what Im hearing people are using their regular peso debit or credit cards in the US and getting official rate plus the %20 tax, I hear the limit on that is $2500 USD a month.

From what Im hearing people are using their regular peso debit or credit cards in the US and getting official rate plus the %20 tax, I hear the limit on that is $2500 USD a month.
That is correct, you can do this for purchases, but not cash in hand at ATMs. Up until a few months ago, people were withdrawing dollars at ATM machines as cash advances from their credit cards. Many people did this from Uruguay. However 2 months ago a new limit was put into place by AFIP any you can now only withdraw $50 U$D per month as a cash advance from a credit card at ATMs in neighboring south american countries and only $800 U$D per month outside of south america. As far as I am aware there is no published limit on purchases, it would be up to your equivalent credit limit in $pesos, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were an "unofficial limit" that nobody has bothered to publish.

Good luck in opening a bank account here.
Be wary of the charges though, in particular the odious ´ingresos brutos´ charges and IVA on top of everything.
Of course, depending on how you set the account up, some of those may not apply.

Big Al You are coming into this very late in the game. Expect our little financial party to end very soon
Try asking for cash back at the large retailers when making purchases

For ayuda familiar you need income in Argentina or regular deposits in an Argentine bank account (for example, if you are retired or have some sort of fund that deposits money into your account every month). You have a $1500 USD limit if you want to do bank transfers or a $300 USD limit per month if you want to do cash transfers (via Western Union, for example).

In other words, you will not be able to "handle" the USDs yourself. Another party does it for you after you get permission from AFIP.

Your bank usually helps you get permission from AFIP and depending on the bank manager or the person dealing with you, the requirements vary from "proof that your family lives abroad" to "proof that they exist, never died, still breathe, walk around, need the money...etc".

If you don't have income here, and don't regularly deposit money then its pointless to consider the route of ayuda familiar to be able to get dollars since you'd be bringing the money into the country and sending it out...like I said, pointless.

Back