Opening a bank account

Turquinito

Registered
Any advice please on which bank to open an account in pesos and in dollars.

Any specific ones with lower monthly fees, decent customer service, etc...
I have always found BBVA Frances good deal with. Someone will likely come to tell you how awful Frances is and how excellent X bank is. Most of the major names will give you a solid all-around customer experience. Horror stories and good stories from each.

Do you have a
1. DNI
2. Verifiable source of income in Argentina?
I have my dni (extranjero)
I don't have a source of income in Argentina, my income is from freelancing, I get paid by crypto currency and PayPal, I would like to be able to transfer my funds to a local bank account.

I don't have a source of income in Argentina, my income is from freelancing, I get paid by crypto currency and PayPal, I would like to be able to transfer my funds to a local bank account.

If you are not employed or "monotributista" opening a bank account is kind of complicated. "Good customer service" implies that they will to ask you to verify your source of income at some point.

Why don't you try to go with one of the new internet-only banks first (wilobank, brubank, rebanking) and see whether it suits your needs?

If you are not employed or "monotributista" opening a bank account is kind of complicated. "Good customer service" implies that they will to ask you to verify your source of income at some point.

Why don't you try to go with one of the new internet-only banks first (wilobank, brubank, rebanking) and see whether it suits your needs?
thank you for your insight, I have a Canadian bank account which I have been using to withdraw my income when needed since I moved here but everytime I withdrew at the atm I would get charged around 500 pesos (ATM fee) plus a 5 bucks fee from my bank on a maximum of 4000 pesos withdrawal. I believe the internet only banks have their own withdrawal fees on top of the usual 500 pesos fees at the atm.
Trying to cut on these fees by depositing my PayPal funds directly to a local bank account and using their atm for free.

I'm not sure you can achieve the objective you seek.

Try Banco Provincia. Bring your tax return and passport. Be prepared for a long process of sitting in a chair and watching a bank employee shuffle papers, make copies, staple papers, talk with other employees, ask you useless questions, shuffle more papers and then send you on your way an hour later - with a bank account but baffled at the ridiculousness of it all. That worked for me a few years ago.

I believe the internet only banks have their own withdrawal fees on top of the usual 500 pesos fees at the atm.

No, internet banks don't have own ATMs and do not charge you extra for using ATMs of other banks.

If ATM fees are killing you, investigate alternative ways: Western Union transfer, buying/selling bitcoins etc.

Back