opening bank account for "residento transitario"

Ries

Registered
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
2,885
Likes
3,606
Unless you are living here full time, a lot of the vagaries of Argentine financial law are just too complex to try to navigate at a distance.

Many people use Porteno property managers to handle their part time apartment rentals.
This can be a LOT easier, if you are mostly in Canada.
The maze of taxes, building expenses, and utilities is much easier to handle in person, and, in many cases, MUST be paid in person. Many things in Argentina still must be paid in cash. Not too much is payable online.

I have a friend who deals with this in BsAs when I am not there, and it works out quite well. We pay her 10% of rentals, for letting people in, booking cleaning ladies, and paying bills.
I actually do not advertise online or use a rental agency- I just do word of mouth with friends- well, actually, my wife does- her abilities are far superior to mine in these matters. So we collect a majority of rent in dollars, in the USA, and then have renters pay the balance to our on site friend- works great, no bank account needed.

Of course, you must have a friend in Buenos Aires you can trust. We are very lucky to have a whole network of such friends.
 

steveinbsas

Registered
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
9,749
Likes
5,784
nikad said:
You can open a bank account at any local bank: you need to get a certificado de domicilio ( at your nearest police department ) and then go with that to the AFIP office to get a CDI. With your CDI you got to the bank ( also take your passport and visa ) and open a bank account.V

Yes, yes, and yes (well, a few local banks might do it)...first try Itau, and Santander Rio, and perhaps Banco Nacion.

Thanks again, nikita!

Oops, I hope you don't mind that "nikname"....if you do, just let me know.

But please don't bang your shoe on the table.

PS: I was turned down by every bank that I asked if I could open an account with a CDI.
 

modulus

Registered
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
15
Likes
0
Greetings;

another option is to have a trusted person in BsAs co-sponsor your bank account. I was not able to open one by myself, CDI or not, but with a porteño in tow I succeeded.

The statements are mailed to my address, I have an ATM card in my name, and I have my own login info for the online bank. But technically I guess that the co-sponsor could empty the account at any given time.

I don't know if that many bills need to be paid in person. Actually, in my case at least, I can't think of any. Even the ABL city taxes are deducted automatically from my account at my request, as the water/gas/electricity/cable/telephone bills. The co-op expenses I pay manually from the online bank. I manage all bills from overseas all year.

If you don't want to have them deducted automatically, you can order email notifications of upcoming bills pay them manually via www.pagomiscuentas.com , where you also can download PDF receipts of all the transactions.

Of course, every once in a while one payment gets screwed up and you have to start all over. But hey.

Another thing:
According to my experiences it makes sense to select a bank which is physically close to your base camp, because every time something comes up they may want you to go to that branch.
 

nikad

Registered
Joined
Aug 10, 2006
Messages
4,486
Likes
3,858
steveinbsas said:
Yes, yes, and yes (well, a few local banks might do it)...first try Itau, and Santander Rio, and perhaps Banco Nacion.

Thanks again, nikita!

Oops, I hope you don't mind that "nikname"....if you do, just let me know.

But please don't bang your shoe on the table.
Rotflol ;)
 

Maikito

Registered
Joined
Sep 26, 2007
Messages
218
Likes
36
Hello,
I went to Itaú branch in Montevideo and Viamonte. I took my certificado de domicilio (issued by the police) my CUIL (issued by the AFIP), passport, residencia precaria and my alta temprana which is a paper issued by the AFIP which states that you are working for a company.

I was sucesfully able to open a bank account in pesos and dollars, not questions asked.
 

steveinbsas

Registered
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
9,749
Likes
5,784
Maikito said:
Hello,
I went to Itaú branch in Montevideo and Viamonte. I took my CDI (issued by the police) my CUIL (issued by the AFIP), passport, residencia precaria and my alta temprana which is a paper issued by the AFIP which states that you are working for a company.

I was sucesfully able to open a bank account in pesos and dollars, not questions asked.

Yes, you were able to open the account because you have the residencia precaria.

The question remains: Is it possible to open an account with the residencia transitoria (tourist visa)?

Undoubtedly, without a DNI one must have a CDI from AFIP (easy to get with your passport and certificado domicilio).

So, has anyone been able to open an account with just the CDI and a passport?

Inquiring minds (still) want to know.

Just to be clear, the CDI is issued by AFIP. it is the certificado domicilio that is issued by the police (comisaria).

I am certain about this distinction.

I don't want to offend those who are sincerely trying to help others, but I was once a newcomer myself and I know how easy it is to NOT know exactly how things works here, especially in the light of constantly changing rules.

Anyone who paid (or is the father of someone who paid) $100 dollars for the visa overstay fine (instead of $50 pesos) is a great example.
 

TomAtAlki

Registered
Joined
Jan 1, 2008
Messages
2,065
Likes
1,500
Yes Steve, Tom and I opened a bank account at HSBC with only the CDI and passport. However we own an apartment and they charged us for household insurance as a requirement.
Hope this helps,
Nancy
 

Maikito

Registered
Joined
Sep 26, 2007
Messages
218
Likes
36
steveinbsas said:
Yes, you were able to open the account because you have the residencia precaria.

The question remains: Is it possible to open an account with the residencia transitoria (tourist visa)?

Undoubtedly, without a DNI one must have a CDI from AFIP (easy to get with your passport and certificado domicilio).

So, has anyone been able to open an account with just the CDI and a passport?

Inquiring minds (still) want to know.

Just to be clear, the CDI is issued by AFIP. it is the certificado domicilio that is issued by the police (comisaria).

I am certain about this distinction.

I don't want to offend those who are sincerely trying to help others, but I was once a newcomer myself and I know how easy it is to NOT know exactly how things works here, especially in the light of constantly changing rules.

Anyone who paid (or is the father of someone who paid) $100 dollars for the visa overstay fine (instead of $50 pesos) is a great example.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

True Steve, I meant to say certificado de domicilo. I would still suggest to go to that Itaú branch. When I walked in they straight up asked me if I was going to open it with the passport or DNI.They didn't really ask me for anything else, I just showed all the papers I had because I was desperate. Sorry if I wasnt much help. If your renting a place, take your passport, apartment contract, dertificado de domicilio, CUIL and CDI if you have it. Take any papers that are "legit". I swear, I was so surprised when they didnt question me in anything. They are a Brazilian bank, maybe thats why they are more flexible.
 
Top