Opposition lacking definitions and a leader as elections near

MilHojas

Registered
A lack of definitions over where some of its main leaders will run for office, fights over its public stances on hot-topic issues and the lack of a clear leadership to establish order are the keys to a challenging panorama for Argentina’s main opposition coalition.

If Pagina12 said this, it would mean less than nothing. But coming from the BATimes, it's probably true.

The government has actually done the opposition a favor by postponing the primaries. At this stage, a primary would be like free-for-all deathmatch in a first person shooter. Allegorically speaking, of course; I'm not suggesting that there would be actual, literal violence.

The government has actually done the opposition a favor by postponing the primaries. At this stage, a primary would be like free-for-all deathmatch in a first person shooter. Allegorically speaking, of course; I'm not suggesting that there would be actual, literal violence.
Well, another way of looking at that would be that the opposition have extra time to twist in the wind, with the human dog-whistle Bullrich doing more damage to her own side than the government's, and Miami Mauricio being reduced to a figure of fun. All while the government's vaccination campaign is finally hitting its stride. Whichever way, I think the PASO is a silly idea.

I'm not a fan of Alberto & Co, but the opposition is pathetic.

Bullrich :rolleyes: , never saw anyone with less charisma than her. One of those old school conservatives with no new ideas.

I'm not a fan of Alberto & Co, but the opposition is pathetic.

Bullrich :rolleyes: , never saw anyone with less charisma than her. One of those old school conservatives with no new ideas.

Bullrich is an interesting story. She apparently spent much of the dictatorship era in Spain, not that there's anything at all wrong with that. Interviewed for a book in 1991, she said she had been a Montonero. But when Mirtha Legrand asked her about that in an interview in the mid 2000's, she denied it and said she had been JP, Juventud Peronista, or Peronist Youth.

In any case, she obviously had very different politics in her youth from what she proclaims now. Then again, many of us did. I was a Reagan Republican 40 years ago, and having voted for Ronnie twice causes me less embarrassment than having voted for Obama once. In the 80's I was young and stupid. In 2008 I had no such excuse; I was old enough to know better.

Interesting, I would have never guessed that about Bullrich. I thought she had come out of the womb a conservative to be honest. Kind of a shame she is washing her history a bit. It would make her more likable if she embraced it, and told how her life experiences have changed her philosophy.

In your defense you haven't been presented many good choices the last 40 years...

Interesting, I would have never guessed that about Bullrich. I thought she had come out of the womb a conservative to be honest. Kind of a shame she is washing her history a bit. It would make her more likable if she embraced it, and told how her life experiences have changed her philosophy.

Oh, you think Bullrich is bad, Carrió is worse by far -
Elisa María Avelina Carrió, obtuvo su primer cargo público, nada menos que como Fiscal de Estado en la Provincia del Chaco entre el año 1978 y 1980 designada por el entonces Interventor Militar de la Provincia general Serrano. Luego, continuó su "carrera judicial" como Secretaria del Tribunal de Justicia provincial desde 1980 hasta 1983, nombrada con nivel de Juez de Cámara por el dictador Viola.

Or in English-
Elisa María Avelina Carrió, obtained her first public position, nothing less than as State Prosecutor in the Province of Chaco between 1978 and 1980 designated by the then Military Controller of the Province, General Serrano. Later, she continued her "judicial career" as Secretary of the Provincial Court of Justice from 1980 to 1983, appointed at the level of Chamber Judge by the dictator Viola.

So, while Bullrich was in one form or another opposing the dictatorship, Carrió embraced it, and was promoted by no less than Viola himself.

And I suppose it's worth noting that Reagan was quite chummy with the dictatorship. Here is a picture of Viola meeting with Reagan at the White House in March of 1981. It's enough to make a vulture puke.

In your defense you haven't been presented many good choices the last 40 years...
Thank you, it's kind of you to say so. But I still feel at least some small measure of moral responsibility for the fact that an administration that I helped put in office and believed in, may God forgive me for it, did such horrendous things. The Nicaraguan "Contras" and all the rest. I remember graduating in 1983 with my shiny new degree in Political Science and International Relations, thinking I was so clever and sophisticated. I didn't know jack shit.

we think laretta will run? he would be my choice easy

Although a strange character I feel Javier Millei summed up Juntos perfectly with the nickname "Juntos por el cargo".

It will be interesting to see if the front runners are able to avoid stabbing each other in the back as the majority appear to be the types that would sell their own grandmother for a promotion (Vidal taking gold in this aspect).

I know the current government isn't the flavor of the month on this board but no one can seriously have any hope for the opposition especially after the Macri years?

we think laretta will run? he would be my choice easy
I don't believe he can, because of term limits: it's one term with the possibility of one more consecutive term. His current position seems to have been a launchpad for the federal presidency in the past, and I understand that's what he wants. That's why it's necessary to draft in another candidate and really none of them look good. Eugenia Vidal comes across as a spoilt child, and Cancun Diego (Santilli) is now best known for bringing his sprog back from Mexico with a fake PCR. Oh well.

I had a very good opinion of Larreta until this year, but it's been downhill all the way since then.

Back