Ordering stuff from abroad

Sunny

Registered
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum.

I did a search before posting this question, but found nothing current and things have changed quite a bit since last December.

Do you order things from Amazon? I understand that a courier is needed to get stuff delivered to AR, but I'm not sure how that works. Could you please share some info/tips on that?

I could order stuff from Costco or Amazon, for example, and have it delivered to my address in the States and from there have it sent to CABA, but I wonder if the order would actually get to me safe and sound. Would Customs open the packages because they are not sent directly from the retailer?

Have you traveled to Chile or Brazil mainly for shopping? Do you recommend it? I've heard that a large number of Argentines have done some serious shopping in Chile last week, but that would make sense for those who live close to the border, I figure.

Thank you very much.

I've ordered books from Amazon, since they're easier to import than many other things. I was able to order them directly to my house, and had to submit an AFIP form to DHL in order to get them.

I use Aerobox and have used TiendaMia once. I prefer Aerobox, and have always gotten everything I ordered without problems

I have used Amazon many times. They use a courier (such as DHL, UPS) and handle the importation process. They will charge you upfront for shipping and importation fees and tariffs. Sometimes, you get a refund for a portion of the tariffs you have pre-paid. However, not everything can be shipped to Argentina. I have ordered from both Amazon US and Europe. It’s always worth checking the prices and fees on both sites.

I have used Amazon many times. They use a courier (such as DHL, UPS) and handle the importation process. They will charge you upfront for shipping and importation fees and tariffs. Sometimes, you get a refund for a portion of the tariffs you have pre-paid. However, not everything can be shipped to Argentina. I have ordered from both Amazon US and Europe. It’s always worth checking the prices and fees on both sites.
Thank you, Fein. Appreciated. Delivery times, OK? How about customs, have you had any problems such as delays, missing items, etc.?

I’d recommend against ordering yourself and doing the tramite with the aduana and AFIP - things here are unpredictable, inefficient and non-transparent. You’ll often end up going round circles and wasting lots of time in queues here, there and everywhere.

I’ve used Grabr 50+ times in my time here. It works very well. You often get the same people bringing the products. When you get to know them, you can order with them directly (instead of through Grabr) and save on fees.

I guess it depends what you’re looking to buy. Grabr works for smaller items that can go in normal luggage, like clothes. shoes, tech, supplements etc It would’nt work for large things.

Brazil has high taxes on tech, but apparently is ok for clothes. Chile / Paraguay better for tech.

Last edited:
Thank you, Fein. Appreciated. Delivery times, OK? How about customs, have you had any problems such as delays, missing items, etc.?
Delivery times have always been relatively fast with both Amazon US and Europe (UK/Germany/France…), around 4-7 days, even though I live in the interior. Never a delay.

They handle customs, so you don’t have to deal with it yourself. The package arrives directly at your doorstep.

As for missing items, with one of my very first orders several years ago, there was an item missing from my order. I contacted Amazon to report the missing item. They promptly sent the missing item. Since then, I’ve ordered many things, mostly electronics, from Amazon and haven’t had anything missing.

I’d recommend against ordering yourself and doing the tramite with the aduana and AFIP - things here are unpredictable, inefficient and non-transparent. You’ll often end up going round circles and wasting lots of time in queues here, there and everywhere.

I’ve used Grabr 50+ times in my time here. It works very well. You often get the same people bringing the products. When you get to know them, you can order with them directly (instead of through Grabr) and save on fees.

I guess it depends what you’re looking to buy. Grabr works for smaller items that can go in normal luggage, like clothes. shoes, tech, supplements etc It would’nt work for large things.

Brazil has high taxes on tech, but apparently is ok for clothes. Chile / Paraguay better for tech.

Thank you very much for your very helpful reply. I will try Grabr.

Back