Outgoing Mail from Argentina

After5

Registered
On July 1st my wife sent out an envelope of documents (papers only) at Correo Argentina, addressed to a US destination. She asked for express mail service, but it seems they treated it as registered mail -- it has a tracking number starting with 'RR.' The last entry on the USPS website (as of July 12th) shows:

Processed Through Sort Facility, July 02, 2011, 12:26 am, BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA

Naturally Correo Argentina claims that it's in the US now. But it's rather obvious that the package has never been dispatched.

Fortunately, these documents can be replaced. But how should we send them next time? Is Express Mail more reliable?

I'm aware that DHL and FedEx can be used for outgoing shipments, though they are expensive. Do any of the Argentine private couriers offer international shipment? Thanks.

When sending important documents, I always use FedEx, it is just safer. I know it is expensive though!

After5,

Even though it is certified, your letter was sent out by regular mail. So, a few weeks delivery time does not sound unreasonable. It does not necessarily mean that your documents are lost or stolen.

As to July 2nd date mentioned as the last date in tracking history, I believe, it is a usual practice. They track it only until it crosses the border. I've sent a few letters the same way. No tracking info on the american side, but all of them were ultimately delivered. It is better to send international mail from the central office on Peron 300.

I would give it 2 weeks. Thats my usual wait for US bound snail mail

Indeed it will arrive in 12/15 days aprox to the US.

There are various options for Correo Argentino : normal rate, certificada, expreso, EMS.

The first three options, if I'm right, don't make much difference about the time frame.
EMS is supposed to be quicker but the Customs are harsher also with such shippings : hence it will arrive before the cheaper options but you'll lose the time gained during the Customs process.

Thanks, this is helpful. Usually there is no issue at all with US Customs, so I suppose EMS may be a better choice next time.

Hi,

Because it says on the USPS website that the last entry was in ARG, i would assume it is in ARG still or somewhere between ARG and USA. Just the fact that it is in the USPS system means it has been registered, and as soon as it gets to the US it will be scanned..

This is one from when i sent some stuff from AU earlier in the year:

Label/Receipt Number: CV10 5995 655A U
Class: Priority Mail International Parcels
Service(s): International Parcels
Your item was delivered at 10:45 am on March 31, 2011 in LAREDO, TX
Enter Label/Receipt Number.
Detailed Results:
Delivered, March 31, 2011, 10:45 am, LAREDO, TX 78045
Processed through Sort Facility, March 27, 2011, 6:38 pm, SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383
Foreign Acceptance, March 24, 2011, 3:00 pm, AUSTRALIA

The last item being the first part of the delivery service...

US customs are anal now with mail, but anything under 0.5 kgs is not going to be inspected (by a person), just scanned - like your luggage at airport and sniffed by a drugs dog..

AU is also alot further from the US, with less flights to US, so you would naturally think it would take longer to get there than from AR..

Anyways if i was you i would be going and asking them where is your package, and tell them not to bullshit you (they will always make excuses saying its someone elses problem because they dont want to deal with it) as if it had landed in the US it would be scanned/cleared through customs..

Davonz,

We've had similar experiences tracking registered mail sent from Thailand and Germany to the US. It seems that the sending and destination post offices exchange information, and both have access to each bar code scan along the way.

That's why I share your conclusion that our registered envelope is still in Argentina after 10 days, not yet dispatched on an international flight. As soon as it reaches a US gateway airport, USPS will scan it in at every step from the airport to home delivery.

Today I checked the website of Argentina's private courier OCA, but it seems they only offer domestic service within Argentina.

Next time we will try EMS, which should be more expedited than registered or 'certificado' mail.

I've lived here over 4 years and I've never once used the Argentina Correo. If I ever do, it will only be for something that is replaceable. I would trust Italy's mail over Argentina's.

I have had a couple of things sent International Express from the States a few years ago and they got here in 5 days. However, the box of stuff that my mother sent 1st Class and was going to take "5-8 days", instead too 17 days. AR Correo is pure crap.

I've learned the hard way not to send anything with Correo Argentina. I've sent postcards, packages, and posters to the U.S. through them and not a single one ever arrived. This was from different offices, mind you - so the entire operation seems rigged to me. Incredibly frustrating, all that money and time wasted.

Back