Overlanding By Vehicle Or Bike?

I have a friend who bought a 2011 Toyota Forerunner here, from a French couple who bought it in the US, shipped it to Venezuela, and spent a month or two driving through SA until they reached BA. It's still sitting in a garage because of the problems of nationalizing the vehicle after the 90 day window on having it in the country expired, and the fact that it changed owners while here. Just saying, things are not so simple in the long-term here with imported cars. If you are going to keep it here awhile, make sure you nationalize it so you can easily sell it or even drive it legally. Of course, part of nationalizing it will be paying the import duties and such.

Also, think of the spare parts issue you're likely to encounter related to import/export restrictions (who knows how long these will last?). I might consider buying a car here instead of shipping it in, depending on what your base of operations would be.

I've driven through the north of Argentina and all through Paraguay quite a few times, and up and over to Cordoba once. Motorcycles may be easier to maneuver the roads here simply because it can be really difficult to pass a line of trucks moving around 70-80 kph (mostly two-lane country roads, few four-lane highways), but you're doing the right thing, I think, with the car. Just be ready to be real patient on the road (I'm not!). But roll all the windows down and you can still take in the fresh air (well, unless you're behind a smokey truck!) and have the convenience of sitting in a chair and relaxing while driving :)

ElQueso-san, appreciate your input on the subject. Spare parts won't be an issue when one is driving a Toyota vehicle, unless needing the replacement parts due to incidents occurred such as vehicle collisions etc. I thinks even vehicles sold there, when one needing to procure the necessary parts will be slow in getting them, so perhaps faster in getting it via Toyota Chile..Once I have surveyed the candidate country(s) if wanting to stay put, then will fork out the duty,taxes,etc in order to "nationalise" it. Otherwise, will drive over to Asuncion,Paraguay and dispose of it quickly. I have a few Japanese citizens radicating there, whom longing to acquire my Toyota vehicle. I will have a huge advantage in purchasing a US Toyota vehicle due to my "clout" of being able to getting any Toyota~Lexus branded vehicles at "Employee" low, low price, so very beneficial in comparing the prices of the twos..But will study this matter before moving on impulse alone...

In that case i wish you luck to you and keep in mind never run your tank below half as many gas stations in mexico sell tainted gasoline and by the time your truck starts to show signs of it ,you are gonna be way out there,
My friends that made the trip to Guadalajara every year would always keep a 5 gallon can of US gasoline just in case and had to use it in a couple of occasions due to the bad fuel.Also i have to tell you, don't count on your California plates opening magic doors,if anything is easier to single you out.
I would get in touch with every expat community from there to here ,since if you run into trouble ,the US consulate won't be coming to your rescue like in the movies
BTW great looking rig

Back