Overstaying 90-day limit

I don't want to derail the thread, but equally I think my situation is relevant enough to not warrant a new one. Firstly, I want to make it clear I am a fly with the wind kind of guy, I do things only when I need to do them. Anyway, I am currently overstayed by four years (I last came back May 2014). However, I have also been married to an ARG citizen since July 2014, also four years. I have never pursued residency because, welll, fly with the wind kind of guy.

I now have to leave the country this May and of course come back to my wife. What is the best course of action for me? Should I just start the process for residency now (if so, will it be a problem that I have overstayed four years)? Or should I just pay the fine and fly out and come back, if I get any heat I can just flash my marriage documentation?

Just FYI, if you've been in Arg for 4 years and haven't left, you are not required to submit a crim background check from your birth country.

Just FYI, if you've been in Arg for 4 years and haven't left, you are not required to submit a crim background check from your birth country.

What about someone who has been living in Argentina for seven years but has left the country at least once a year?

As recently asked:

Any advice for a retired US citizen who has spent almost 7 years living in Argentina now considering applying for residence? I return annually to the US for health checks and have done the expat shuffle to Uruguay numerous times and last August married an Argentine citizen. I've been told that 5 years of living in Argentina, plus a local police check, a utility bill in my name and a statement of (in my case) Social Security is all I need to get a precaria at migrations. All suggestions are welcome.

What about someone who has been living in Argentina for seven years but has left the country at least once a year?

As recently asked:

If you've left for a short amount of time, I can't imagine there would be a problem. ie, a 2 week visit here or there. Now if you're leaving for months at a time, I assume they would question b/c the argument could be made you weren't living in Arg. But remember, they want a background check from countries where you have resided more than 1 year in the last 3 years:)

CERTIFICADO QUE ACREDITE FEHACIENTEMENTE QUE NO REGISTRA CONDENAS ANTERIORES NI PROCESOS PENALES EN TRÁMITE emitidos por las autoridades competentes de los países donde haya residido por un plazo superior a UN (1) año, durante el transcurso de los últimos TRES (3) años. Solo exigible a mayores de 16 (dieciséis) años.

Not having an entry stamp is entirely different from overstaying the 90 day visa. Polostar is correct. Brandon will not have to go to passport control before going to the airline check in. He will only only have to pay the fine (now $1500) before he can check in.

Hello,

I don't have an entry visa as I lost my passport and was issued a new one by the embassy. I have overstayed and assumed I have to pay the fine when I leave, but the quote above about not having an entry stamp makes me a little nervous. Are there other consequences besides paying the fine (I assume the 3000 one as the entry point can't be established anymore, or perhaps it can via customs records, dunno)? Thanks.

you might be surprised on what they can pull up on their computers. you just need to tell them when you entered aproximently. they found mine in about 10 minutes

Hello there.

How is the situation nowadays. I am a Finnish citizen and planning to leave from Argentina on Wednesday. I have booked a transport that will see me arriving to Ezeiza about 6 hours before my departing flight which should be more than enough to sort the thing out.

Is there anything else for me to know as I am planning to return on beginning of September?

In terms of living in Argentina my situation is a challenging one. I have a decent degree from Europe and through distance working have enough money to support myself. But in terms of getting a DNI and residence permit I don't basically have anything to qualify as my Spanish isn't good enough for me to get a job with a contract. On the other hand I will not be willing to leave my girlfriend here as she is still studying and has even more difficult time in terms of moving with me to Europe. So it's not like I'm just doing something 'illegal' on purpose but instead this is where the life has lead me.

And to add: the fee is still 1500 pesos?

Would really appreciate some advice. My aim one day is to be legal and I hope that someone could help me with these problems.

I came to Argentina 4 years ago from the U.S. on a extended vacation with my wife who was born here. While being treated for a minor injury, one of the tests revealed I had a life threatening condition which could only be cured by a new, and very expensive drug. By the grace of God, my wife's family knew a prominent doctor who was able to enroll me in an experimental program here which provided the drug for free. The treatment however lasted 18 months. I obviously did not attempt to leave the Country to renew my visa knowing i could never extend it that long. My treatment was 100% successful, however I am now 3 years over my visa and I am afraid I might not be permitted back if I should leave Argentina. I have built a life here and wish to remain. Any advice would be appreciated.

Back