OverStaying in argentina due to COVID-19

I am almost certain that it does apply to tourist visas, as RESIDENCIAS TRANSITORIAS includes, tourist visas.

"
Los extranjeros que ingresen al país como "residentes transitorios" podrán ser admitidos en algunas de las siguientes subcategorías:

a) Turistas;

b) Pasajeros en tránsito;
"

I agree that it covers tourists.

What is not clear is that article 4 of the disposicion appears to indicate that the 30-day extension only applies in cases where the expiry date was due to fall in the 30 days following March 17. As we are now at day 30 following March 17, it is not clear whether individuals whose expiry date falls tommorrow and every subsequent day after have this same automatic 30-day extension.

I agree that it covers tourists.

What is not clear is that article 4 of the disposicion appears to indicate that the 30-day extension only applies in cases where the expiry date was due to fall in the 30 days following March 17. As we are now at day 30 following March 17, it is not clear whether individuals whose expiry date falls tommorrow and every subsequent day after have this same automatic 30-day extension.

ARTÍCULO 4º.- Las prórrogas aquí dispuestas, aplicarán a toda aquella residencia o inscripción cuyo vencimiento hubiese operado a partir del día 17 de marzo de 2020 inclusive y por el término de TREINTA (30) días corridos.

I read this as 'The extensions listed here will apply to all residencies or inscriptions whose expiration would have happened from the 17th of March, and [the extensions will be] for the term of 30 days.'

I agree it's unclear, someone native speaker should confirm.

Again, there is another decree that suspend all administrative activity. I’m not going to track it again.

To suspend "administrative activity" does not mean that the automatic extensions granted a few days earlier, are cancelled. It just means, I think, that offices are closed. But what has been granted before (the automatic extensions), should remain legal and valid. You do get your 30 supplementary days, in all likelihood.

One should not worry too much about these details, in any case. With this exceptional coronavirus situation, no penalty will be enforced for overstaying.

Much more interesting would be, what will or would happen if the intl borders remain closed for months. Shouldn't tourist visas be turned into work visas, if tourists are trapped for months?

To suspend "administrative activity" does not mean that the automatic extensions granted a few days earlier, are cancelled. It just means, I think, that offices are closed. But what has been granted before (the automatic extensions), should remain legal and valid. You do get your 30 supplementary days, in all likelihood.

One should not worry too much about these details, in any case. With this exceptional coronavirus situation, no penalty will be enforced for overstaying.

Much more interesting would be, what will or would happen if the intl borders remain closed for months. Shouldn't tourist visas be turned into work visas, if tourists are trapped for months?
For one second I though the lawyer was me...FYI when there is a suspension of administrative activity, the times do not run, that is, it is as if not a single day had passed.

The issue of what happens to a tourist whose visa is no longer able to be extended but the individual has no way to leave the country because the border is closed, is one that we need to be thinking about. People who have a residency application in process might also find themselves in a difficult position is their application is, at some point in the coming months, rejected (and thus the individual has to leave the country). What do Migraciones do with this individual? I doubt Migraciones would solve the problem by moving those people onto another form of visa. So what would Migraciones do? Detain the individual, until such time as the borders open, or flights out of the country become available?

Back