OverStaying in argentina due to COVID-19

I was wondering if Migraciones are still processing ongoing residency applications where the applicant has already had the "cita" and has had the original documents checked?

status of my application has changed a few days back to "DISPOSICIÒN DE RESIDENCIA PROTOCOLIZADA", so apparently something is moving there. This is 5 months since initial precaria had been issued.

I was wondering if the pandemic goes on for some time, would some people be able to apply for a temporaria residency under the following category?

Obtener una residencia temporaria por razones humanitarias
a) Personas necesitadas de protección internacional que, no siendo refugiadas o asiladas en los términos de la legislación aplicable en la materia, se encuentran amparadas por el principio de no devolución y no pueden regularizar su situación migratoria a través de los restantes criterios de la ley 25.871 y su reglamentación.

I was wondering if the pandemic goes on for some time, would some people be able to apply for a temporaria residency under the following category?

a) Personas necesitadas de protección internacional que, no siendo refugiadas o asiladas en los términos de la legislación aplicable en la materia, se encuentran amparadas por el principio de no devolución y no pueden regularizar su situación migratoria a través de los restantes criterios de la ley 25.871 y su reglamentación.

Wouldn't apply to most of foreigners' cases, as I read : se encuentran amparadas por el principio de no devolución - unless the coronavirus situation in your country of origin, is so bad that it would be considered a crime against humanity to send you back.

This is specifically for people subject to the principle of non-refoulment in the refugee convention who cannot technically get refugee status but nonetheless face risks if sent home.

This is specifically for people subject to the principle of non-refoulment in the refugee convention who cannot technically get refugee status but nonetheless face risks if sent home.

Might seem a bit strange in any case. People deserving refugee status but not receiving actual, classic refugee status... I think it is to grant the power of welcoming refugees to Migraciones, even though the actual refugee agency might not agree, or be too slow. I'd bet some politicians from Evo's party, received this status last year, urgently.

I assume all this infomation is still current? I orginally arrived on the 18th of December and requested an extention on the 10th of march for the orginal visa that was due to expire on the 17th March. The extention was due to expire on the 15th of June, if im reading this right, i'll have basically another 3 months from the time when migraciones opens again? Is that our best guess at this time?

As an aside, is there anything I can do about medical insurance at this point? My intention was to stay around the 15th of june and I have travel insurance that covers me to that point. Short of applying for residency (which I would be able to do, but wasn't in my short term plans) is there anything I can do?

I assume all this infomation is still current? I orginally arrived on the 18th of December and requested an extention on the 10th of march for the orginal visa that was due to expire on the 17th March. The extention was due to expire on the 15th of June, if im reading this right, i'll have basically another 3 months from the time when migraciones opens again? Is that our best guess at this time?

As an aside, is there anything I can do about medical insurance at this point? My intention was to stay around the 15th of june and I have travel insurance that covers me to that point. Short of applying for residency (which I would be able to do, but wasn't in my short term plans) is there anything I can do?
Nobody is going to sell you a medical insurance. However, doctors are almost only dealing with Covid-19 and, if you get it, a public hospital is your best choice. I recomend Clinicas.

Nobody is going to sell you a medical insurance. However, doctors are almost only dealing with Covid-19 and, if you get it, a public hospital is your best choice. I recomend Clinicas.
What a silly statement. There are a few hundred hospitalized people for covid 19 in the whole of Argentina. Most medical staff are “al pedo” all day doing nothing as their work has plummeted due to the lockdown. This is not Spain or Italy! Wake up.
And yes, you can totally buy a health insurance here but I would recommend a travel health insurance if one is eligible to a standard private medical insurance in Argentina. A good option would be IMG Global.

Correct. Medicus sold me a policy the day before lockdown, for 7500 pesos per month, although eligibility depends on age. The trick is to tell them you have a residency application in train with Migraciones. The won't ask you to prove it as they suspect you are lying but are happy to take your money (I was'nt lying but I'm sure the agent assumed I was). They take your passport number and make you sign a form agreeing to inform them of your DNI once your residency is approved. You can pay with a foreign crédit card.

This info came from American Citizens Services at the US Embassy in an email today.
Extending Argentine Visas

· Argentine Immigration (Migraciones Argentinas) announced an automatic 30-day visa extension for all non-residents with visas set to expire after March 15, with the most recent 30-day extension announced on May 15.

Back