OverStaying in argentina due to COVID-19

I have temp residency. I renewed my DNI in dec but still haven't received it so I'm still on precaria. I left AR on 3/10.

I did not have to enter on a tourist visa ( I think this is impossible anyways). They just stamped the back of my expired precaria like normal.

What airlines did you fly to ARG? Did the airline have an issue with the expire precaria or they were aware of the automatic extension by migraciones?

Any ideas on when visa runs will be viable again, or when tourists will be stamped back into the country? October? My student visa expired on August 15th and the extension will only last me until september 15th

Last edited:
Any ideas on when visa runs will be viable again, or when tourists will be stamped back into the country? October? My student visa expired on August 15th and the extension will only last me until september 15th

The general consensus is that the 30-day extensions are renewed every time the lockdown is extended, i.e. it would "expire" 30 days from Aug 30 (the end of the current extension), not necessarily from the day your visa was originally set to expire. At least that's how the law is more or less interpreted on the UK and US embassy websites.

Border runs are out of the question until probably next year. There hasn't even been a tentative announcement of when the borders will reopen. Chile for sure won't reopen this year.

The general consensus is that the 30-day extensions are renewed every time the lockdown is extended, i.e. it would "expire" 30 days from Aug 30 (the end of the current extension), not necessarily from the day your visa was originally set to expire. At least that's how the law is more or less interpreted on the UK and US embassy websites.

Border runs are out of the question until probably next year. There hasn't even been a tentative announcement of when the borders will reopen. Chile for sure won't reopen this year.

I disagree. The decree is very clear. 30 days added to residencies/visas. So currently his/her visa will expire on September 14. HOWEVER, I do not see Migraciones opening up at least until October. So the validity will be extended into October or more. My guess, hope, is that once the lockdown is lifted Migraciones come to their senses and automatically extend all residencies/visas that expired after March 17 by 6 months (as many European countries have done). If they decide to just add 30 days then imagine the backlog they will have to deal with especially with reduced staffing due to covid-19. That's the logical thing to do but we are in Argentina where logic does not often prevail.

I disagree. The decree is very clear. 30 days added to residencies/visas.

I think the problem is that the decree actually isn't entirely clear, hence the slightly differing interpretations of it.

UK embassy: The 90-day permission for tourists to stay in Argentina is being extended each month by 30 days, if your original 90 days expired after 17 March.

US embassy: Argentine Immigration (Migraciones Argentinas) previously announced an automatic 30-day visa extension for all non-residents with visas set to expire after March 17. See details here https://www.boletinoficial.gob.ar/detalleAviso/primera/227952/20200417 and contact Migraciones with any questions.

So either the extension automatically renews or it was a one-time thing. Some have argued on this board that the decree doesn't even cover tourist visas. We won't really know until the lockdown finally ends (if and when).

was it extended again in August? the last extension listed here is from July https://www.argentina.gob.ar/interior/migraciones/covid-19-radicaciones
Yes it was on 18 August (entered into force on 20 August). They have just gotten lazy (lazier) and don't even bother to update the website.
Here it is:

their system is being held ransom by hackers right now so I anticipate a few more auto extensions.

Back