Overstaying In Argentina (Predicable Topic For A Newbie)

Do they do an immigration check for domestic flights?

No. The only person who sees your passport before a domestic flight is the person who works for whatever airline you're flying with when you check in/check bags. In my case, that was Aerolíneas Argentinas. If any airline would care, it would be that one, since it's run by the government. But nope. Nobody cares.

I used a passport for ID at a notary yesterday. They are careful about ID, even get a thumb print next to your signature but they never even look past the first ID pages at things like visa stamps.

Any updates on this situation??
I'm traveling to the US on Friday and my student visa expires on Thursday. 1 day over!
I've been told by some not to worry at all, that there'll be a $100-300 peso fee upon leaving Argentina and there won't be any issue being let back in later (coming back in a month)... then some others have told me that I'm risking not being let back in. Not a risk I want to take...

Someone give me some reassurance or if not I gotta get a ticket to Colonia for Thursday!!

They have since changed the laws here, now overstaying your visa carries the death penalty. Off to start a new post about when the blue will reach $20 and whether pizza here is better than Italy or not.

Reactions: ben
I'm traveling to the US on Friday and my student visa expires on Thursday. 1 day over!
I've been told by some not to worry at all, that there'll be a $100-300 peso fee upon leaving Argentina and there won't be any issue being let back in later (coming back in a month)... then some others have told me that I'm risking not being let back in. Not a risk I want to take...

Someone give me some reassurance or if not I gotta get a ticket to Colonia for Thursday!!

The overstay fee is now $600 pesos. Going to Colonia will get you a new 90 day visa but you should not have any problem when you return a month from now if you overstay by one day. It is doubtful the immigration official will say anything when you return. So, you overstayed by ONE day! If that was ever an issue there would have been many others who would have already posted about it...and I don't think anyone has...in fact, I'm sure no one has.

The idea of 'not having an overstay mark in your passport', while completely understandable given an American mindset, is meaningless here. It means about as much here as having sped 15 miles over the limit means back home.

The chances of your running into problems after one overstay are little to none. The authorities have begun to crack down, in the rarest of cases, on serial offenders, and even that is new and strange enough here to have engendered a few 'sky is falling' threads. In your case there is simply nothing to worry about.

If you overstay, make sure you arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before you normally would (5 hours before your international flight). You have to get your overstay procedure done before checking in, or they will not issue you a boarding pass. The rocedure involves lining up at immigration to apply for the overstay permission to leave, taking the payment form to the Banco Nation branch there and paying the 600 pesos, and returning to immigration to prove payment and get your authorization to leave. Only then can you lineup for check-in. This all takes time, and many people have missed their flight our due to this and had to buy a new expensive flght out. The only option is to go to Immigration in the city and get your overstay procedure done within 10 days of leaving .

The overstay fee is now $600 pesos. Going to Colonia will get you a new 90 day visa but you should not have any problem when you return a month from now if you overstay by one day. It is doubtful the immigration official will say anything when you return. So, you overstayed by ONE day! If that was ever an issue there would have been many others who would have already posted about it...and I don't think anyone has...in fact, I'm sure no one has.
I overstayed by a day once. Could not leave Argentina until I paid the fee. Decided to overstay a few months and pay just before an international flight. I have heard of others who are looking to go to Colonia only to find out in the check-in that they have last left Argentina 91 days ago. They rushed to Retiro to pay the fine and got to Colonia de same day.

Back