Overstaying work visa

Katie

Registered
Does anyone know what happens if I overstay my one-year work visa? It expires in November and I know I can renew it, but I'm leaving in December and don't want to go through the hassle of renewing. I'm assuming that I will pay a fine at the airport, but can anyone confirm that? Thanks!

I think there's just a simple stamp in it, but I'll have to check. The actual visa is a piece of paper that's not attached to my passport. Good point though, because if there isn't a stamp it will just look like I've overstayed my tourist visa for a year, but maybe that's not such a good thing either...

Why not just see what happens and pay the fine if you have to. You leave why care about what could happen?

Hi Katie,

I am not sure what could/would happen if you overstay, but maybe you could consider going to Colonia on the last day of your work visa? That way you will reenter as a tourist and have your peace of mind, and keep your record clean in case you ever want to apply for other visas (even tourist) in the future.

The straight answer to your question is yes, you will pay a $300 peso fine at the airport, nothing more. You can go to Colonia before your work visa expires and get a 90 day tourst visa as you return, but the trip will cost you most of the day and abput $200 pesos.

But you won't be breaking any rules and you will if you overstay your work-visa

qwerty said:
Why not just see what happens and pay the fine if you have to. You leave why care about what could happen?

I care because my fiance is Argentine and we will (presumably) be coming back here to visit his family and friends for the rest of our lives. If there's a chance that I could be banned from entering Argentina due to overstaying I want to be sure to take the steps necessary to avoid that. Plus, I like to be prepared.

qwerty said:
But you won't be breaking any rules and you will if you overstay your work-visa

The consequence of "breaking the rules" is paying the fine, nada mas...and no one cares, not even querty.

As he posted less than an hour ago:

qwerty said:

Back