Overstaying work visa

i went to emigration last Monday to extend my visa for another 90 days ,i paid the $300 pesos and when i got my passport back they told me it was my last extension and they even wrote it in my passport aswell. I have been here almost seven years so i can understand them being abit fed of seeing me. But the hassle of getting legal in Argentina annoys the crap out of me. I am married to an argentine and when we lived in Ireland the process of getting her legal took about an hour. Here they make you jump through hoops just to keep unemployable clowns in some form of a job.
I have an argentine wife and Kids so i am pretty sure i can't be thrown out. But if i leave i imagine i may have a problem to get back in. Due to whats now written in my passport i have finally begun the paper chase to become an Argentine.
we should do a poll to see how long it takes me to become one

If you wanted the answer to this:

Katie said:
I opened this thread because I'm on a work visa, not a tourist. I KNOW that if you overstay a tourist visa you pay 300 pesos and go on your merry way (I've done it myself) but I wanted to double check about overstaying on a work visa. I just want to be sure that they won't prohibit me from entering the country for possibly working illegally (a long shot, I know). I'm engaged to an Argentine and we'll be coming back here to visit family and friends for the rest of our lives, so if there's any chance that I would have problems for overstaying I want to be sure to avoid that.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Why did you only ask this?

Katie said:
Does anyone know what happens if I overstay my one-year work visa? It expires in November and I know I can renew it, but I'm leaving in December and don't want to go through the hassle of renewing. I'm assuming that I will pay a fine at the airport, but can anyone confirm that? Thanks!

steveinbsas said:
If you wanted the answer to this:

Why did you only ask this?

Steve, I don't understand your question. My origninal post and the title both say work visa, not tourist. Honestly, I don't want to assume anything since a work visa and a tourist visa are very different processses. Can anyone confirm overstaying a work visa is no big deal?

Katie said:
Steve, I don't understand your question. My origninal post and the title both say work visa, not tourist. Honestly, I don't want to assume anything since a work visa and a tourist visa are very different processses. Can anyone confirm overstaying a work visa is no big deal?

Your original post gave no indication that you planned to return. Your follow up post provided information that changed the context of your first post.

I seriously doubt that one visa overstay will make a difference in the future, but no one can predict the future, especially when it comes to AR migraciones.

If you are that "concerned" about doing everything correctly, then do the RT to Colonia just before your one year visa expires, but are you sure you will be given a 90 day tourist visa if there is still any time left on your work visa?

It might be worth a visit to the office on Antardida to ask. You can call, but you might get a different answer in person than on the phone. This much I know from experience.

Katie you will be fine. They give you 3 months to be a tourist after your work visa expires.

larsjoy said:
Katie you will be fine. They give you 3 months to be a tourist after your work visa expires.

Do you know if she can get an additional 90 days at the prorrogas de permanencia sector at the office of migraciones or will she have to leave and reenter to get the visa transitoria?

steveinbsas said:
Do you know if she can get an additional 90 days at the prorrogas de permanencia sector at the office of migraciones or will she have to leave and reenter to get the visa transitoria?

It is an automatic 90 days... she does not have to do anything. I unfornutely learned this too late and overstayed that 90 days as well... So, I am trying to figuring out my best course of action. If anyone was actually overstayed a Work visa, I would like to hear their experience, because a Work visa is different than a tourist visa.

Back