Packing for winter...

RogueTango

Registered
Hi all,
I live in NYC. I am relocating there Next month. I am trying to figure how far in advance I needd to pack and how much.. Does it get terribly cold there in the winter? Will need my heavy jackets and sweaters?
Thanks

Well, if you want to blend in, yes, bring your winter coats.

And keep wearing them even when it's 70 degrees. :D

Most North Americans consider winter here to be only slightly colder than T shirt weather. Although it can rain pretty hard.
But the old ladies in Recoleta get out their mink coats, and proudly wear them, whenever the weather gets below 45 degrees.

It did snow, once, in Buenos Aires, in the last 100 years. It melted in a couple of hours.

Winter in Buenos Aires = Seattle/Vancouver in winter, with slightly less rain. In otherwords you don't need a truly heavy coat, but if you stay down here long enough, you will eventually cave and get what they think of as a winter coat here. My winter coat for BA would do me on the east coast Montreal/Boston up until about November. The wet and rain get into you here, but you'll rarely get a day below freezing -- and the temperature tends to rise quickly over the day -- I can't remember my farenheits, but it starts about 2 degrees celsius and rises up to 15 / 17 degrees... so I think that's about 35 degrees farenheit rising to 60 / 65 degrees? I could be pretty off with my farenheits though!

syngirl said:
Winter in Buenos Aires = Seattle/Vancouver in winter, with slightly less rain. In otherwords you don't need a truly heavy coat, but if you stay down here long enough, you will eventually cave and get what they think of as a winter coat here. My winter coat for BA would do me on the east coast Montreal/Boston up until about November. The wet and rain get into you here, but you'll rarely get a day below freezing -- and the temperature tends to rise quickly over the day -- I can't remember my farenheits, but it starts about 2 degrees celsius and rises up to 15 / 17 degrees... so I think that's about 35 degrees farenheit rising to 60 / 65 degrees? I could be pretty off with my farenheits though!
http://www.metric-conversions.org/temperature/celsius-to-fahrenheit.htm ;)

We were here in July 2007 and for three or four days it was freezing. I had to go out and buy winter clothing, After that it was back to shirt sleeves though.
But as bradley said if you want to blend in you should wear a wonter coat and look like you feel the cold.
On a side note a freind of ours refused to go out one night because it was 9ºC and she has a car garaged in the building, does not even have to go on the street.:)

Cool, so my wool jacket will do i guess and maybe i should invest in a decent rain coat? Thanks for the tips :)

RogueTango said:
Cool, so my wool jacket will do i guess and maybe i should invest in a decent rain coat? Thanks for the tips :)

Wool jacket will be fine. As for the rain coat, it is probably best to stay in when it's raining. Just go to one of the threads on the flooding in Las Canitas to see why.

A wet suit might help though :D

Back