Palermo Soho Review By Way Of The New York Times.

The title of this thread is misleading and I was expecting a full review of Palermo Soho (which I've never been to) by that bloke who interviewed the witch, instead we got a fashion show.

I think these are the kind of articles that misrepresents BA to the outside public and generates so much backlash towards the city. They come thinking that BA is one huge Palermo Soho, instead of one huge Boca.
If people came with more realistic expectations, knowing that BA is an extremely fine city by South American standards, I think their experience would be a lot more enjoyable.

BsAs is not Palermo but neither a huge Boca. Somewhere in the middle Id say.

There are several barrios like Palermo (which, BTW, is by far the largest and more popolous of the city). Like Palermo I mean upper middle class, with pretty caffes and gelatos and trendy and with restaurants and nice houses.
Recoleta, Belgrano, San Telmo, Palermo, are trendy.
Then you have barrios like Nuñez, Colegiales, Chacarita, Villa Urquiza, that are ok.
Then you have Caballito and Villa Crespo that are middle class.

Now we have more than the half of the city. Poverty in Argentina, thanks to Macri, almost dissappeared from Buenos Aires. Google gentrification. BsAs has been expelling poverty to the south, to Quilmes, Avellaneda, etc, constantly and in great numbers in the last past ten years. The map of poverty had changed a lot in BsAs. Only the villas grew a lot, but the barrios, a lot of working class barrios were renovated by new people with better income. What happened with palermo 20 years ago, when it was a low middle class barrio, then happened to San Telmo, then to Nuñez, then to Chacarita, Colegiales, and now Parque Patricios and Barracas. And it surely will continue to every barrio.

Back