Palin's performance in debate a resounding success

So after being what McCain says was "Viva la Barracuda" she has now been muzzled. There are no plans for her to speak to the press for the next 32 days before the election.

She is sooooo good she will not talk to anyone but Fox News (maybe as she told them she didnt know her boss had pulled her campaign from Michigan. Everyone knew that before her speech at the debate but her.) and doing stump speeches to the faithful Right Wing. I guess the campaign didnt see fit to let her in on the nationally known secret.

If you cannot speak to someone who is going to question your positions without looking like an idiot you should go back to being mayor of Wasilla or be governor where there are more Elk than people. At least she gets to shoot the Elk.

PK said:
So you want to be the leader of the free world. So you say ["]joe six[-]pack["] and ["]soccer/hockey mom["] enough and you[']r[e] ready?
No, of course not. But does anyone really think in terms of "the free world" (what's the rest?) any more, let alone really believe that the American president is its "leader" (whatever that means)?

PK said:
I would go on but it[']s just a joke. At least we will not have to listen to Barrack [sic] and Biden say ["]nuculear["] like [sic] Bush and Palin seem to like [to say]. . . .
I served under another president who mispronounced "nuclear"; the man was a failure in office, but not because of his difficulty with the language. I think Barack Obama a fine orator from prepared text, and I dislike Sara Palin's accent; but neither quality is necessary for or even revelatory of fitness for elective office.

As for orthography . . . .

If Palin were a male her candidacy would be a joke. But its all irrelevant.

Obama will win because the US economy is in a tail spin and the voting public now realizes that over almost three decades as Republicans held sway - even in the Clinton years, when they controlled Congress - they systematically destroyed the FDR initiated protections that kept in check the natural tendency of capitalism to overreach.

Cowboy capitalism or "free markets" in the fundamentalist economic religion of the Republicans is turning out not to be so free. Today's turmil is just the tip of the iceburg the USS Titanic is now crashing into.

Poor Obama .... he will walk into the biggest, most complicated mess ever to face a President. Bush has fucked up virtually everything and I mean everything .... with a losing war in Aghanistan, stalemate in Iraq, Russian and China on the march, the US treasury in hock to foreign investors, no need to go on.

In truth, if Palin had a brain, she would have a family emergency and head north where she can hunt, kill and eat moose while people in the lower 48 go hungry.

austin said:
Bigbadwolf, do you honestly think that the allegedly cerebral OBAMA will change US foreign policy? Do you think that US policy vis a vis Israel will change under an Obama administration?

Read my other posts on this forum: you'll see I have an equally dismal opinion of the mocha messiah. I'll probably vote Libertarian, gnashing my teeth at the two-party duopoly.

Some sympathy please for the 53rd state (UK) whatever muppet you elect we will be stuck with, and we don't even get a vote.

tangobob said:
Some sympathy please for the 53rd state (UK) whatever muppet you elect we will be stuck with, and we don't even get a vote.

Only 50 states in the union, pal (including Alaska and Hawaii). If you didn't have such servile and obseqious prime ministers, your post would be superfluous. As it is, knee-jerk servility to the US defines British foreign policy (and has for decades).

Here's an appraisal of Palin's performance in the debate which rings true:

Hearing the debate on the radio missed Sarah’s winks and frozen smiles, but focused on what was said. Sarah sounded like a bright, if immature, 19-year-old on the college debate team. She avoided questions, changed or evaded the subject, delivered well-rehearsed statements, and went off on totally unrelated subjects. She avoided details and gave vast platitudes about “victory,” “mavericks,” “greed,” “U.S. exceptionalism,” and “energy independence.”

She wooed voters with folksy language and mentioned the “Talibani.” Is this a nickname for a terrorist organization in insular Alaska? I liked her pledge for total “victory,” especially, “McCain knows how to win a war!” Wow, did he learn in Vietnam?

Carefully protected from press interviews, Palin sports a pregnant teenage daughter while advocating parental responsibility, no birth control, no abortion and abstinence. She has a mentally retarded baby yet her husband takes off to race snowmobiles while she hits the campaign trail. She’s against “earmarks,” but leads all states in the U.S. for earmark dollars per citizen. She “knows foreign policy” because some people in her state can see Russia on the horizon. She hadn’t left the U.S. until last year, visited New York once, and was recently introduced to Henry Kissinger. She’s ready to become president?

Americans are notorious for being anti-intellectual, opposing reasoned arguments and relying on faith and intuition. They loved Bush because they would rather have a beer with him than his opponent. They need to reconsider.

If Americans elect Sarah to be next in line to become president, we are in serious trouble. Her nomination already makes us the laughing stock of the world.

I am not a Palin fan but I'm interested in facts. Here is what I researched about her educational background: Palin attended Hawaii Pacific College in 1982 for a semester, and transferred in 1983 to North Idaho College for the 1983-1984 school year. After transferring again in 1984, Palin received a Bachelor of Science degree in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987. If that is wrong, let me know.

Obama attended Occidental College for two years and then transferred to Columbia University.

So Palin attended three colleges before receiving her undergraduate degree; Obama two. What's the big deal?

I don't see anything to indicate that Palin is not intelligent, just a lot more blue collar in her tastes than Obama. Let's not mix style with intelligence. Obama wears beautifully tailored suits and has a rich baritone voice; Palin cultivates a more middle or even blue collar look, speaks with a Midwestern twang in a somewhat shrill tone. Alaska is a rugged state where just about everyone loves outdoor activities and sports. It's not a high fashion place. I wouldn’t expect someone from Alaska to be as polished as someone like Obama who comes from a big cosmopolitan city and attended an elite private boarding school.

I don't think the issue is one of intelligence, rather two different views. I agree that she should have had a better answer to the Supreme Court question. Maybe she was nervous; maybe she just didn't know. Either way it doesn't mean she is stupid. We can find many examples of intelligent leaders who have made dumb comments. For example, Biden recently said that Roosevelt was President in 1929 and spoke to the American people on TV! Is Biden dumb because he made this rather amazing statement? Palin seems to have been an efficient governor and I suspect has a lot of common sense and I think is well above average in intelligence. She's not prepared for the Presidency but she isn't running for President.

I don’t think any of the candidates are impressive but I think that some people who just don’t like some of the values of McCain / Palin are trying to portray the Republican candidates as stupid rather than argue policy. McCain graduated toward the bottom of his class at US Naval Academy (Annapolis), an incredibly hard school to get into and very demanding not only academically but in terms of discipline. Anyone who graduates is qualified to assume a high level leadership position. McCain has been a senator for many years. He is not dumb. You may disagree with him but it seems to me a lot better to dispute policy than to throw around insults about intelligence.

Let's suspend judgement on Palin's intelligence (about which, incidentally, I'm sceptical). Criteria for the job she aspires to are 1) being well-informed about US foreign policy, economic policy, energy policy, and so on, and 2) some exposure at the national level to key issues and debates. McCain and Biden arguably have some of this; Obama less so; and Palin not at all. It's not enough to be "bright": exposure (if not experience), and a sophisticated world-view are critical. After all, the US is (still) a great power.

Back