PAMI for permanant resident?

studiodio

Registered
I fell hard on my hip and went to local ER. The doctor asked for my medical coverage and I said I had none. She asked why i wasnt enrolled in PAMI (I am 73 years old). I told her when i asked at the PAMI office to enroll they said I could not. Anyone know if i got wrong info at PAMI?

I fell hard on my hip and went to local ER. The doctor asked for my medical coverage and I said I had none. She asked why i wasnt enrolled in PAMI (I am 73 years old). I told her when i asked at the PAMI office to enroll they said I could not. Anyone know if i got wrong info at PAMI?

Seas mayor de 70 años y no cobres un beneficio ni tengas obra social:
PRESENTAR:
Documento Nacional de Identidad (DNI) con domicilio actualizado.
Tener un mínimo de 10 años de residencia en el país.
Constancia de ANSES de no ser titular de ningún beneficio.
Constancia de no afiliación a ninguna obra social municipal o provincial, según el lugar de residencia.
IMPORTANTE:
Podés tener PAMI si tenés una prepaga.
No podés tener una obra social y PAMI al mismo tiempo.
Esta afiliación se otorga por 12 meses. Podrá renovarse en forma sucesiva por el mismo término.

Foreigners with permanent residency may qualify for retirement from ANSES and PAMI benefits after 20 years in Argentina.

The Argentine Medicare System

Friends told me that ANSES offers retirement to people over 65 and found this information today on the site: Universal Pension for the Elderly

It is a life and non-contributory benefit, for persons 65 years of age or older who are not beneficiaries of retirement, pension or retirement, and meet the requirements of the law.

Who will be entitled to Pension Universal?

• People who are 65 years or older.
• The Argentines naturalized with 10 years of residence in the country prior to the application.
• For foreigners, it required 20 years of residence.

Foreigners with permanent residency may qualify for retirement from ANSES and PAMI benefits after 20 years in Argentina.

PS: If you already have nine years of permanent residency and wish to enroll in PAMI in about a year, I suggest you consider initiating the process to become a naturalized Argentine citizen.

PS2 : I suggest you read the entire thread as differing opinions and viewpoints follow the post I quoted.

PS3: If you have been a permanent resident in CABA for three years you may be able to enroll in a free health care plan immediately and not bother with PAMI.

Last edited:
PS: If you already have nine years of permanent residency and wish to enroll in PAMI in about a year, I suggest you consider initiating the process to become a naturalized Argentine citizen.

See my post above....studiodio may already be eligible for PAMI enrollment if the following prerequisites are met:
Translation:
Be 70+ years old and do not collect a retirement benefit or be enrolled in an obra social.
DNI with current address.
Residency in the country for a minimum of 10 years.
Proof from ANSES that you aren't receiving retirement benefits.
Proof of no affiliation to any Obra Social municipal or provincial depending on place of residence.
IMPORTANT:
Can enroll in PAMI if person has a prepaga.
Cannot have an obra social and PAMI at the same time.
PAMI affiliation must be renewed every 12 months.

See my post above....studiodio may already be eligible for PAMI enrollment if the following prerequisites are met:
Translation:
Be 70+ years old and do not collect a retirement benefit or be enrolled in an obra social.
DNI with current address.
Residency in the country for a minimum of 10 years.
Proof from ANSES that you aren't receiving retirement benefits.
Proof of no affiliation to any Obra Social municipal or provincial depending on place of residence.
IMPORTANT:
Can enroll in PAMI if person has a prepaga.
Cannot have an obra social and PAMI at the same time.
PAMI affiliation must be renewed every 12 months.

If 20 years of permanent residency is not required to enroll in PAMI, would a permanent resident with ten years in Argentina be eligible to collect a retirement benefit in addition to medical coverage (as well as a monthly basket of goodies)?

If 20 years of permanent residency is not required to enroll in PAMI, would a permanent resident with ten years in Argentina be eligible to collect a retirement benefit in addition to medical coverage (as well as a monthly basket of goodies)?

ARG Universal Pension for Seniors
Last Revision.....Friday 8 March 2019 12:00

IF NEEDED, PLEASE UTILIZE GOOGLE TRANSLATE
Requisitos
Tener 65 años o más.
Ser argentino o naturalizado con 10 años de residencia en el país (anteriores a la solicitud), o extranjero con una residencia mínima de 20 años.
No cobrar ni tener derecho a ninguna jubilación o pensión de un organismo nacional o de cajas o institutos provinciales o municipales, ni seguro de desempleo. Si estás cobrando una jubilación o pensión, debés renunciar a la misma para iniciar el trámite de la Pensión Universal para el Adulto Mayor.
Mantener la residencia en el país una vez solicitada la pensión.

Monto
Es de $8.328,30 (equivalente al 80% de una jubilación mínima) y se actualiza en forma trimestral por la Ley de Movilidad.

Trámite (obtain appt online)
El trámite es presencial, con turno.
Es necesario contar con los datos personales y relaciones familiares actualizados. En Mi ANSES podés consultar tu información personal y familiar.

I choose not to apply for the ARG Universal Pension for Seniors or become a PAMI affiliate although I qualify for both.
Therefore I am not posting from personal experience as either an applicant or recipient of either program.

Last edited:
so since i get social security benifits, I dont think I qualify.
You are correct about that.

If you live in the capital federal, have permanent residency, you are eligible to sign up for Coberatura Portena de Salud at one of the hospitals on their list. Just present your DNI and you'll get a card printed with your name, DNI, indicating the hospital for Coberatura Portena de Salud which you present when making appointments. The signup process takes a few minutes. Once you're in the system, you can make appointments with your clinica medica who writes orders for whatever you need and you take them to your assigned hospital at the CoPS window for appointments.

I've been on the plan for four years. It's likely there are many doctors who are unaware of the CoPS plan in the city available to all residents. PAMI is the national plan for seniors.

so since i get social security benifits, I dont think I qualify.

You would have to renounce your Social Security benefits as well as meet the other requirements to qualify.

Assuming no other sources of income, you would also have be able to live on less than $200 USD per month.

You would have to renounce your Social Security benefits as well as meet the other requirements to qualify.

Assuming no other sources of income, you would also have be able to live on less than $200 USD per month.

Sounds like a great deal. Just give up your Social Security and live on USD $200 like a local. Then after a year, come back on this site and tell us about PAMI

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D.B. Cooper Expat Life 12
Back