Paraguay V Argentina, Lifestyle And Taxes

The fact that the central bank sets rates rather than the market means they are in effect manipulating the money supply, and therefore the currency or am I mistaken? Agree that the drivers could be trade + blanqueo, but government does have a role in the currency xe right?

I think the question is whether the currency is allowed to float or if there are restrictions on its exchange.

So, when is this bubble going to the explode? Within this year or later? I have to buy new appliances and I'd like to know if I'd better wait.

So, when is this bubble going to the explode? Within this year or later? I have to buy new appliances and I'd like to know if I'd better wait.

If only the future would be predictable.

In a currency crash, things that are made in Argentina, like food, rent, tickets would get cheaper. Things that are imported would keep the same price in USD.

Are you talking about imported goods? I do not think Argentina has much of a domestic electronic appliances industry.

If only the future would be predictable.

In a currency crash, things that are made in Argentina, like food, rent, tickets would get cheaper. Things that are imported would keep the same price in USD.

Are you talking about imported goods? I do not think Argentina has much of a domestic electronic appliances industry.

Yes, namely a washer-dryer. It would be either a Samsung made in China or an LG made in Korea. The latter is more expensive than the former just as it is. Of course, costs 700 USD in Chile and USD 1200 in Argentina...

Serafina....[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Yes, namely a washer-dryer. It would be either a Samsung made in China or an LG made in Korea. The latter is more expensive than the former just as it is. Of course, costs 700 USD in Chile and USD 1200 in Argentina. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Do you mean a washer-dryer combination or as 2 separate appliances? [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]One day last Nov the washer didn't start at all. Never having need for repair before, it is not a bad run for an Eslabon de Lujo, manufactured by Whirlpool Argentina, S.A. and purchased in Feb, 2002. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]While awaiting for the technician (highly recommended as reliable and experienced) to come and give me an estimate of cost to repair (at a price of $250 pesos should I decide not to have the work done), I started researching prices of new ones. I went in person to look at what was [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]available[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]in stock[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] at Rodo in Boedo and Garbarino, at their branches on Cabildo/Juramento and on Av. Santa Fe 3211. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I looked at the latest Eslabon de Lujo models.....poor quality compared to my old one at sticker prices of $9,000+ pesos. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]All 3 stores had several models made by Samsung in China and LG's but only those made in ARG. The LG model F1380TD suited my needs. Asking price [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]at that time [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]was $11,999 pesos + delivery cost (based on price of item, not distance to travel) of $249.00 pesos if bought with cash, debit, or credit card [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]in 1 payment. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Next I found the same LG model on Mercado Libre for the same price plus I had to make the arrangements for the delivery. One online vendor did offer a similar LG model, but made in Italy, at a higher price by 40%. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]After 3 weeks of waiting for the technician to come ([/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]ahora estoy ocupado, puede ser la semana[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]que viene, estoy en cama y puede ser gripe) [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I decided to buy a new one. My 1st choice was to purchase from the young and easy-going salesman I had spoken to at Garbarino on Av. Santa Fe so I re-visited him on Nov 22. He informed me that [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]by then[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] the asking price had increased to $12,999 pesos + delivery cost of $249.00 pesos [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]if bought with cash, debit, or credit card [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]in 1 payment. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I replied as he treated me....in a courteous and friendly manner. Ezequiel, I would be happy to buy it from you but on my non-negotiable terms otherwise you leave me no choice but to purchase it from Jorge at your store on Cabildo & Juramento. His manager agreed to the terms. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Only then did I present my US debit card. I paid $11,350.69 pesos including delivery. Equivalent in dollars.....$725.00. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Sold with 12-month warranty and motor only is guaranteed by manufacturer for 10 years. Did not purchase extended warranty. The young and affable person who delivered it on Sat afternoon agreed to install it for $100 pesos. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Did I celebrate because I bargained well? The large appliance sales were way down thus allowing margin for barter. As they continue to be way off today. But definitely not e[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]lated that I paid here the same price that I would have in SFO for the same brand and same specs (except made for 110V) BUT I WOULD NOT BE BUYING A WASHER MADE IN ARG. This LG has more electronic functions than I could possibly need but it solved my problem here and now! [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Do you mean a washer-dryer combination or as 2 separate appliances? [/background]

Gracielle, I might come to the next coffee chat just to talk to you about this :D

I am looking for the combo to save space. I know that two separates appliances would be ideal, but I don't really have the space.
My research was very simple: no local brands. I was left with Candy, LG, GE and Samsung.
Candy is not good for washer dryers, according to my fellow countrymen. Also spares might be an issue (I have a a Candy washer and when it broke under warranty I had to wait for two months for an equivalent model to get into Argentina again).

GE has a lint removal issue where you have to disassemble the upper part of the machine because lint clogs the moist sensor. It is made in Argentina.

I am left with Samsung and LG. They say LG is better but price is astronomical. I found the Samsung at a promo price of 15,000 at Ribeiro this week. Not sure if I should grab the deal or wait longer - I am not in a hurry, but I'll need one by September.

Serafina....I am planning to attend the chat next Tuesday. There after I may not be available to attend regularly for some weeks.

Space-saver combos with two separate motors that were built to "appear" as one tall and narrow unit were popular here some years ago. If you send me the model number of the Samsung you saw at Ribeiro I can take a look at it online.

As a rule I have never purchased anything at Ribeiro. Last year a local friend bought a stove and left it in the unopened box while remodeling was being done in her house. Three months later the plumber installed it and discovered that it was assembled with a faulty part. Even though it was under the original warranty, Ribeiro refused to exchange the stove and told her she would have to wait at least 2 months for the replacement part. She had the plumber order the part from a dealer and replaced it. Ribeiro refused to reimburse her for the part and/or the labor. According to her this was not an isolated incident as other locals posted similar complaints in blogs but she learned about it after the fact.

Sometimes I really love the twists and turns of this forum...
such as how this exhausting and detailed back and forth about past, present and current unpredictable and reactionary inflation trends in Argentina has suddenly become a very pragmatic and focused discussion about the benefits of buying a washer-dryer combo unit now or waiting for the inevitable next economic crash.
Love my combo unit btw...saves so much space!

Back