Parents visiting

I was born in 1955.
That means I was 21 years old when the Ramones put out their first album, a big 23 when the Sex Pistols toured the USA.
I was in the audience when Joey Shithead of DOA used to piss on the crowd as part of his act.

Why would you automatically assume someone my age would want to see Tango?

I sure dont.

Tango is music from the teens. Thats for REALLY old people- 100 year olds.

I just gotta stick up for us old folks- we arent all stodgy and suffering from dementia.

My idea of a good time for the parents is a Zizek night at Club Niceto.

Ries said:
Why would you automatically assume someone my age would want to see Tango?

I sure dont.

Tango is music from the teens. Thats for REALLY old people- 100 year olds.

Personally, I'd think that just about any visitor to Argentina would appreciate seeing/listening to some legit Tango. If for no other reason than it's a *huge* part of Argentina's culture. I don't think it implies that anybody's a fuddy duddy, or also can't enjoy a variety of other things. Just when people are visiting Argentina, possibly for the first time, they tend to like to see what's unique to the country and also typical for the locals.

I took my parents to see Fernandez Fierro Orquestra Tipica play. They're a "young" Tango band and play pretty dark tango, and a lot of fun to see live. My parents enjoyed it as a highlight of things that we went to go do here (certainly above and beyond the seemingly obligatory Cafe Tortoni).

but Ries, it definitely sounds like you're not your average 57 yr old!

Orquestra Tipicia Fernandez Fierro is just down the street from me, and I like em a lot- but I would compare them more to "americana" bands like Wilco or Neko Case, who are reinterpreting older folk/country music- in this case, OTFF definitely infuses their take on Tango with a lot of more modern influences.

http://www.fernandezfierro.com/caff/

I like a lot of the Techno Tango bands, like SuperVielle, y Gotan Projec, y Tango Crash, y Tangetto, tambien.

Other recommendations for "adults"- the Xul Solar Museum- its a great small museum to a truly visionary argentine artist, with amazing architecture.

Many of us older guys like machinery- there are two great train museums- the smaller one, right behind Retiro, is great, and then there is a big one, in Remedios Escalada, out in the Southern Suburbs, with lots of locomotives and rolling stock.

Museo Ferroviario "Centro de Preservación R. de Escalada"
Av. 29 de Septiembre 3675, R. de Escalada (Sab. y Dom. 15:30 a 18hs.)

I wasnt kidding about the arms museum, either- its pretty great, in a palace on the plaza San Martin.

I also really like the Waterworks museum, inside the Palacio de las Aguas, on Cordoba y Riobamba.

I would take my parents, if I still had any (my mom is still around, actually, but she came to BsAs on her own) to Las Violetas for tea-
http://www.lasvioletas.com/eng/html/home/index.php

I would probably also take em to Corrientes at night, maybe to a show in one of the big old theaters, and then to Guerrin or Las Cuartetas for some fuggazetta.

Back