Passport - Is It An International Document Or Not?

TWB103

Registered
Just come from Migracions to get my residency. Apparently I needed my passport translated - $700

I can understand my antecedentes penales from my native country needing to be translated - that seems fair enough but why oh why a passport?!

If I travel to China they dont say ''oh wait we cant let you in until you pay someone alot of money to translate your passport into Mandarin''.

All the relevant details are pretty evident especially a department thats always looking at bleedin passports. And isnt there some sort of online international database that would show if Ive been upto some funny business or not.

Im always using my passport instead of an DNI here. They didnt ask for my passport to be translated for my Argentine antecedentes penales check. WTF!!

Arrrrrggggh----gentina !!

I guess it depends. If your passport is entirely in Chinese, then I could see them wanting to translate it if there are notes in it.
Re: the database, there are several -- FBI, Scotland Yard, etc., have their own if you've been up to funny business. I would imagine they don't share this with the Argentina migraciones department.
Sorry for the hidden sarcasm. Writing this from a conference where the speaker is a bit boring ...

If your passport does not include the Spanish terms for name, date and place of birth, etc. It must be translated and the translation must be legalized. After all, Spanish is the official language of Argentina.

I had to have my 1998 US passport translated in 2006 when I applied for temporary residency as it lacked the Spanish lingo.

My 2008 US passport had the Spanish terms and it was not necessary to have it translated when I "renewed" my residency.

Getting the Argentine antecedentes penales check does not require the translation of your passport, but it isn't done by migraciones and they have a different set of rules to follow. If you had a criminal history in Argentina it would not be found by accessing data from your passport. It would be found by the fingerprint check. The same goes for the international criminal reports.

Ok so I have to get passport translated.

Appreciate the responses but they dont answer my questions or the inconsistencies I mentioned.

Carrying on with the self indulgence for a bit i forgot to add that I went to Migraciones a few days to double check I had all I needed. The official said the only thing I needed translated was my antecedentes and she looked at my passport.

The passport wasnt the only issue today. The antecedentes for Argentina say that Im Argentine (again the police looked at my passport) so that has to get changed and the white backed photo that I had taken in aplace that specilaises in that sort of thing was unacceptable because the white had a greyish tinge.

Hence the losing of patience...

Appreciate the responses but they dont answer my questions or the inconsistencies I mentioned.

The answer to the question in the title of the thread: "Passport - Is It An International Document Or Not?" is yes, and it will be accepted "as issued" for the purpose of entering and exiting Argentina, but that doesn't exempt it from the requirement of migraciones to have it translated to meet their criteria for granting residency.

There was also one question in the post: "why oh why a passport?"

The answer is still: "If your passport does not include the Spanish terms for name, date and place of birth, etc. It must be translated and the translation must be legalized. After all, Spanish is the official language of Argentina."

Regarding the "inconsistency" of why migraciones requires that your passport be translated to obtain residency and why the Policia Federal doesn't when getting the Argentine antecedentes penales, the reason is still: "They have a different set of rules to follow."

Your passport (without a translation) is an acceptable form of ID to get the antecedentes penales. It is also an acceptable form of ID (without a translation) at any public hospital or any business when you make a purchase with a credit card, as well as enter and exit the country (where it is "checked" and stamped by migraciones).

Carrying on with the self indulgence for a bit i forgot to add that I went to Migraciones a few days to double check I had all I needed. The official said the only thing I needed translated was my antecedentes and she looked at my passport.

Many expats have been told they only needed "one more thing" at migraciones and when they returned with the required item or document they were told they need something else. "Mistakes" by the official reviewing your documents on one visit often get "corrected" on the next (sometimes by the same official and sometimes by a different one as everything is check and rechecked by at least two of them).

The passport wasnt the only issue today. The antecedentes for Argentina say that Im Argentine (again the police looked at my passport) so that has to get changed and the white backed photo that I had taken in aplace that specilaises in that sort of thing was unacceptable because the white had a greyish tinge.

The fact that your antecedentes for Argentina say that you are Argentine certainly was not your fault, but presenting a "correct" report is still your responsibility. Having to have it corrected and getting a new photo is obviously annoying. You've had more problems than the average individual applying for residency, but it looks like you're going to qualify.

And you can be happy with the fact that migraciones no longer requires the birth certificate with the Apostille that has been translated and legalized in Argentina and you weren't asked (or expected) to pay a couple thousand dollars under the table (or in a back room) to get your residency.

And you can be happy with the fact that migraciones no longer requires the birth certificate with the Apostille that has been translated and legalized in Argentina and you weren't asked (or expected) to pay a couple thousand dollars under the table (or in a back room) to get your residency.

Hi Steve/TWB, do you know the current requirements for a DNI?

I have an Argentinian wife (got married in Argentina), and 2 kids with Argentinean nationality.

If I were to apply in Netherlands, then they need a Birth certificate (apostilled), a extract of the civilian registration (apostilled) as well as as the Dutch antecedentes penales (apostilled).
Is it correct that only the latter is needed when applying from/in Argentina? Will probably do it in Bariloche.

Thanks

AFAIK you DO need your birth cert apostilled and translated if you are applying for perm residency based on being the PARENT of an Argentine(s). IF you are applying for perm residency based on your MARRIAGE to an Arg, all you need is your marriage cert.

Back