Patagonia Expat

I've been living in Argentina for about 10 years; the last 7 of those in Bariloche.

I'm here for the love of the mountains (and maintain a trekking website in my spare time: TrekBariloche.com & https://www.facebook.com/trekbariloche). I used to do loads of trekking but hung up my boots in favour or running shoes...now I just run the trekking trails. I snowboard in the winter and when I'm not in the mountains can usually be found at home dabbling in web design.
Cool, nice overview on the site, some of my friends will run the 4 Refugios run again soon, they loed it.

Patagone,

Stop by and say hi to my friends Laura y Guillermo who have a new rotiseria in town called "Arrayanes." They are both porteños and have twin toddlers.

San Martin is my favorite place in the south. Thinking about moving there myself if I can figure out a way to make a living.

Thanks, will check it out. I think there are many options for a living in SMA, but you need to have different expectations compared to living and earning in BsAs. Not better or worse, just different. And today Senora presidenta K mentioned the news that our Lake Lacar apparently now is shared with Chile, so things can only get better :)

What's the best way to get to San Martin de los Andes from Buenos Aires? I was thinking of flying to Bariloche and heading up from there. Is there a quicker way?

What's the best way to get to San Martin de los Andes from Buenos Aires? I was thinking of flying to Bariloche and heading up from there. Is there a quicker way?

There are daily direct flights, at least in the high seasons, to Chapelco airport (CPC). Friends that recently visited from Europe even managed to get on it. Nor sure when/if the service will be suspended for low season, but CPC is only 20km from SMA, a 25min taxi ride.

There are also plenty of buses to/from Retiro to SMA, usually with a stop in Neuquen/Cipolletti. Of course, it usually takes longer, but I find sleeping on big buses a lot more comfortable than flying to/from BRC and then needing to get to the busstation, often needing to spend a night, before taking the 4hr bus to SMA.
I know some people also mix things by flying to NQN and taking a 6hr bus from there. In the end, it is simply far away from most other places, which is sometimes inconvenient, but also the great thing about SMA :)

I generally like San Martín, but found it unpleasantly overcrowded in peak season.

Great thread, interesting to see expats and others who live in the lakes region... considering it for the far future as a place to live, but first I go to both Bariloche and SMA for the first time this week!! Any recommendations for a first-time visit from those who know it well??

We are quite many with the wish to go there!
We should create our own barrio (like buying a few hectares and subdividing the land... cheaper)

I'd love to go, what do you guys do in the off peak season? Shut up shop or run more locally focused businesses?

We are also in the planning stages of getting away from BA.
I love the sea, Adri doesn't mind mountains or sea, but it's quality of life we're looking for.
Great thread.:)

4 hectares (not 40 like mentioned in the ad) for 100.000 USD = could make 8 lots of 5.000 square meters at 12.500 USD each...
http://www.argenprop.com/Propiedades/Detalles/6425365--Campo-en-Venta-en-Bariloche?hb=1

Back