Patagonia Expat

I've been living in Argentina for about 10 years; the last 7 of those in Bariloche.

I'm here for the love of the mountains (and maintain a trekking website in my spare time: TrekBariloche.com & https://www.facebook.com/trekbariloche). I used to do loads of trekking but hung up my boots in favour or running shoes...now I just run the trekking trails. I snowboard in the winter and when I'm not in the mountains can usually be found at home dabbling in web design.

Im coming down to bariloche in a few weeks and will definitely check out your site. plan on doing much trekking in my week there!

I'd love to go, what do you guys do in the off peak season? Shut up shop or run more locally focused businesses?

I head back to the UK in May each year as it's dead in Bariloche and leave the girlfriend in charge of the apartment rental http://www.BarilocheView.com

Great thread, interesting to see expats and others who live in the lakes region... considering it for the far future as a place to live, but first I go to both Bariloche and SMA for the first time this week!! Any recommendations for a first-time visit from those who know it well??

Cerro Campanario should be your first stop, either take the chairlift or walk up the trail through the woods. Kayaking on Lake Guiterrez or Sailing on Nahuel Haupi. Eat some chocolate from Mamushka, Icecream at Jauja & Boliche de Alberto for lomo (go to the one on Villegas street). Work it off by cycling round the Circuito Chico or a stroll up the trail to Cerro Llao Llao.. it has fantastic views. If you are into trekking then 'Frey por el Filo' is the best one day trek in the national park.

Im coming down to bariloche in a few weeks and will definitely check out your site. plan on doing much trekking in my week there!

Let me know if you have any questions. I also have a site about trekking in El Bolson

Cerro Campanario should be your first stop, either take the chairlift or walk up the trail through the woods.

Liked the view from up there:

barriloche.jpg

Picture was taken 2011 when the Puyehué volcano in Chile was erupting and you can see the smoke/ashes in the background

Liked the view from up there:

barriloche.jpg

Picture was taken 2011 when the Puyehué volcano in Chile was erupting and you can see the smoke/ashes in the background

Breath taking picture! The pic reminds me of rural or provincial Japan. Clear and fabulous, I can imagine the crisp air and feelin' the gentle breeze and surrounded by beautiful nature!

Some sights to look forward to in Bariloche... (don't be fooled by the weather in the photos, its not always that good!)

Cerro Campanario:
1.jpg

Punto Panaramico (on the Circuito Chico):
2.jpg

Centro Civico:
3.jpg

Laguna Schmoll (on the Frey por el Filo' trek):
4.jpg

View from Cerro Llao LLao:
5.jpg

The beach at Villa Tacul (on the Circuito Chico):
6.jpg

Some sights to look forward to in Bariloche... (don't be fooled by the weather in the photos, its not always that good!)

Cerro Campanario:

Punto Panaramico (on the Circuito Chico):

Centro Civico:

Laguna Schmoll (on the Frey por el Filo' trek):

View from Cerro Llao LLao:

The beach at Villa Tacul (on the Circuito Chico):

Nice! Makes me want to hop in the car and drive down there!

I generally like San Martín, but found it unpleasantly overcrowded in peak season.
It is busy in January only, and still if you go mountainbiking on the trails, you hardly meet anyone. It is too ful with cars in town though. Then again, many tourists are from Chile, so traffic is still relaxed ;-)

Great thread, interesting to see expats and others who live in the lakes region... considering it for the far future as a place to live, but first I go to both Bariloche and SMA for the first time this week!! Any recommendations for a first-time visit from those who know it well??

Visit BRC and SMA both, as often people like one and not the other, the places are quite different. One of the best parts is the road between them, the 7 Lakes road via Villa La Angostura. Don't rush and stop often, there are several (free) campsites as well. In SMA you can kayak, hike, and do a lot of mountainbiking, though it helps to have a local guide as teh tourist office knows about 1% of MTB trails. In BRC don't miss the Circuito Chico, though in high season it is too frustrating to be in a line of 500 cars..

We are quite many with the wish to go there!
We should create our own barrio (like buying a few hectares and subdividing the land... cheaper)

There are still plenty of barrios to be bought. Or taken if you feel adventurous, it's Argentinean style.. I prefer to be in the center of SMA, where by its very nature prices are much higher and fewer options.
I'd love to go, what do you guys do in the off peak season? Shut up shop or run more locally focused businesses?

Enjoy the lakes and forests and mountains :) My main business is non-Patagonia related (besides my photography and print sales), so I keep on doing what I do. The local restaurants use the off time to visit family, go on vacation or remodel etc. The off seasons are the best times actually: fall/autumn is spectacular with red/orange forests and starry nights, Spring is lovely with warm valleys with snow-capped peaks.
We are also in the planning stages of getting away from BA.
I love the sea, Adri doesn't mind mountains or sea, but it's quality of life we're looking for.
Great thread. :)
I love the quality of life in SMA, fits me like a glove. Do come and check it out temporarily first, as some people feel 'trapped' between mountains, just like I feel close to sea or in an urban jungle :)
4 hectares (not 40 like mentioned in the ad) for 100.000 USD = could make 8 lots of 5.000 square meters at 12.500 USD each...
http://www.argenprop...-Bariloche?hb=1

Too far South, close to El Bolson, which is a great place to visit, but I prefer a bit warmer climate in winter, while still having the ski area nearby. Good price though, there are some great lots in El Bolson.

This thread (and the photos!) have made me want to return to Argentina and move to the Andes. The few times I have visited were some of the best trips of my life.

Time to focus my time on getting paid working via the internets. I also have an idea for a seasonal business. Let me know when you want to buy that hectare Frenchie!

Back