Patagonia in April

here4now

Registered
Hi Longtimers!

I am planning to fly down to Ushuaia in early April and slowly travel up north to end up in Bariloche in May. What is the weather like that time of the year? Does it rain a lot? How cold does it get? I won't be camping, but want to do a lot of hiking.

Thanks for your advice.

I think April is a great time to be in Ushuaia. I went there this year mid-April, and had also gone once before in December several years go, but by far I enjoyed the trip in April much more. The leaves are starting to change colors and it is just beautiful. The tourist season is officially over so the city is much calmer, but many of the kiosks selling crafts, souveniers etc. have closed shop by then. Some things to take note of - it gets dark rather early, around 6:30 to 7 pm so plan your activities accordingly. Also, if you were planning to go to see the penguins at Estancia Harberton, they are already starting to leave by April, so the main companies offering this excursion take it on a day-by-day basis, so you'll have to keep checking on that. As for weather, it tends to be drizzly, but can also be warm throughout the day, so the best bet is to pack layers. Right after I left it started to snow, so I think you should be prepared for that too. The National Park is gorgeous for hiking and you could easily spend a couple of days going through the trails there. I'd also recommend the Ojo del Albino glacier on Laguna Esmeralda and the Martial Glacier for hiking. Happy planning!

Bariloche is dead in May so you should be able to get a good deal on accommodation. The weather could be cold wet and windy, bear in mind the ski season starts on about the 16th June, but you could just as easily have cold, sunny days ideal for trekking.

trekking in Bariloche

........ I'd also recommend the Ojo del Albino glacier on Laguna Esmeralda and the Martial Glacier for hiking. Happy planning!

We are planning to be in Ushuaia in November. This is the only thread I found, that is mentioning Glaciar Ojo del Albino, which we would like to visit. I know there are number of agencies offering this trekking, but I wouldn't like to spend ars 1400 for walking not very difficult route. Anyone did this hike? How is the trail and are good shoes enough ( I am not planning on walking on glacier, I just want a view)? We are quite experienced (Alps, Himalaya treks..), so it shouldn't be too difficult, problem is only, that there is no much info on the trail ..

If anyone has any other recommendation on what is good to do in Ushuaia (trekking, trips ..), I will be grateful.

I am interested in Ushuaia as well. I have AA miles to spend by December 1st and Ushuaia is the longest leg I can buy with my miles. Not sure about the best months to visit Ushuaia (I can fly even after December, I just need to book the flight before that), how long should we stay and what is there to see. We don't have trekking gears so anything that we could do with a pair of trekking boots would be okay, but that would be it.

NB. THE NEW POST AND MINE ARE NOT ABOUT PATAGONIA IN APRIL (THAT WAS AN OLD POST) see above. Take note Nobody Special before writing another rude reply.

mikic007 and Serafina.....

November to February is best for Ushuaia... I'd say January is the best single month but even then it can snow above Ushuaia. I have often been working there in various summers and have friends living there.

To do>
Visit the Tierra del Fuego National Park (day trip) including el tren al fin del mundo (its narrow guage.. if that sort of thing interests you)... the park has fantastic scenery;

Take one of the many tours by boat/ catamaran along the Beagle Channel; the longer trips reach Martillo island penguin which apart from Magellanic Penguins has the only continental Gentoo Penguin colony plus King Penguins are regular there now in summer. You can combine this with a visit to Harberton Estancia/ museum, have tea there and return by land.

Hire a vehicle... its very cheap to do in Ush and fuel is tax free, then just drive around... up to the Garibaldi Pass, Tolhuin, Harberton or as far as Estancia Moat, or even Rio Grande.

Visit the ancient prison

Trout fishing in northern Tierra del Fuego although v. expensive

Hang out in Ushuaia... various interesting restaurants. Tia Elvira is the best intown.. but you need a booking and a fat wallet.

Serafina... I am amazed that you have AA airmiles to cover this trip. I gave up collecting AA airmiles a while back even though I fly a lot in Arg on AA, because they were useless and were always short of the mark. I have been able to use many LAN airmiles though.

Hope this helps some. PM if you need more specifics.

Serafina... I am amazed that you have AA airmiles to cover this trip. I gave up collecting AA airmiles a while back even though I fly a lot in Arg on AA, because they were useless and were always short of the mark. I have been able to use many LAN airmiles though.

I called AA in Argentina to know about how I can spend my miles - I have around 25k miles.

It's 12.000 miles for Argentina (from BsAs in my case), plus ARS75 in taxes.
20.000 miles to fly to Brazil, Chile or Paraguay, however higher taxes apply (the highest being Brazil with ARS1100).

You have to call AA because these numbers are not listed on AA.com. Thank you for your suggestions - it looks like 4-5 days could be enough.

Thanks @Markgeezer, that was helpful. I stole the thread because of mentioning of glacier ;) I didn't even think about car, but since we are 5 that just might be the cheapest thing to do!

Serafina.... so its now a hidden agenda to get your airmiles from AA. Just another reason to avoid them. I feel safer on Lan for some reason.
Yes 4-4 days is good ! Many visitors combine it with the Perito Moreno glacier because there are many direct flights to/ from El Calafate which is worth bearing in mid.

Another full day trip... but well off the tourist trail is to drive to Cabo San Pablo which has an unusual ship wreck right in the bay. From there you can drive south to Estancia Maria Luisa. And if you are adventurous, trek to Bahia Policarpo. 140 km.... I did say for the adventurous.

There is also the Martial Glacier above Ush...giving a nice view of Ush up there (you can take the ski lift part way) but the glacier is nothing special.

Back