Paul Krugman: Why dollarization is a fantasy

I was reminded of this bit of 2019 satire, or not-satire, of how quick someone like Milei will change their mind to not dollarize.

This is also the reminder that there is a need for something like TheBubbleArgentina news again. luckily it was archived. As the author rebuttals the foreign economists, and more: “Let me be clear – anyone who holds this opinion has zero idea what they are talking about and may have never met an Argentine in their lives.”

I was reminded of this bit of 2019 satire, or not-satire, of how quick someone like Milei will change their mind to not dollarize.

This is also the reminder that there is a need for something like TheBubbleArgentina news again. luckily it was archived. As the author rebuttals the foreign economists, and more: “Let me be clear – anyone who holds this opinion has zero idea what they are talking about and may have never met an Argentine in their lives.”

First of all, I have not read editorials in the WSJ advocating dollarisation nor have I seen such proposals in other financisal papers, rather scepticism. Second, Macri was far more restrained than Milei. Timid was more like it. Milei has been upfront with his proposals and since taking office a few days ago he has alredy implemented reforms. You may be right that Argentines will revert to their old ways but this time you may very well be wrong. Milei won a resounding victory. People had reached the end of their tether. There seems to be willingness to make changes as never before. As for the Bubble, they're out of business. I wonder why.

the bubble is out of business because journalism and newpapers are a dying breed

the bubble is out of business because journalism and newpapers are a dying breed
It was an online publication. The BA Herald went out of business and more recently returned to an online version.

Oh, how I miss the smart, funny writing of Emily Hersh (”Bianca Fernet”). She was always pretty accurate, as history proved. She now runs a lithium mining company in the USA, and who knows, Argentina may see her again.

Back