Paying Medical Bills - Need Pesos Quickly

mphillips_81

Registered
So I've been doing a lot of research here and elsewhere on the internet and I'm backed into a corner and not sure what to do. I have a US Bank Visa Debit card that I tried using at Citibank on Las Heras, to no avail, and I'm need of $8000 more pesos by tomorrow afternoon. My account allows for $1200 US withdrawn each day, but I was only able to withdraw $2000 Pesos yesterday and again so far today. Please please help! Any advice is much appreciated.

Why so desperate?

Can't you show the ATM receipts to those you must pay?

You already have $4000 pesos and by tomorrow afternoon you will have at total of $6000.

If that is true you should be able to "demonstrate" (if not prove) that you can get $2000 more on Thursday.

If you can pay that why wouldn't your "medical creditors" be willing to wait one more day for the final payment?

The urgency is because I'm supposed to be on a plane Friday morning to Peru and need to pay both the doctor and the dog sitter before I go, and both will only do cash.

They won't accept 50% now and 50% when you return?

After all, the dogsitter will have your dog. (That implies that you plan to return.)

Most of my clients that, are tourists, are from the States and have the same problem. If you withdraw in increments of $700 pesos and agree to pay the service fee each time you can take out as much money as you want. It's a security issue. If you take out too much in one withdraw your card is frozen.

I'd recommend calling up your bank and requesting that they lift your limit. My bank (Schwab) has offered me this option before. Most banks impose a daily limit -- mine being $800 USD. The ATM limits me to $1,000 ARS per transaction, but I can complete a total of four before running into my bank's limit.

I guess the second option would be to go to a bank and request the money through the teller? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

What I would do: find some other Canadians that I trust/ am friends with. E-transfer (virtually instant, via email) them $500 plus fees each; and then have them withdraw 2000 pesos each.

From what I recall, I have been able to withdraw 2 transactions of 1000 pesos each in a row, I believe at Galicia.

Paypal or similar would work.

This is Argentina. In spite of all the cynicism, if you can't pay now (even if you are a foreigner) everyone I've ever met would be willing to wait to be paid, especially if they thought you were trustworthy (and you probably have more credibility as a foreigner).

You never posted here before tonight. If you really need the cash, try to work with your bank, but if that fails try to work with your doctor/vet/pet caretaker. If this is all "real" I can't imagine that they wouldn't wait for you to return from Peru to settle your accounts.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll have to make due with what I can give each party tomorrow and that will have to suffice.

I have had the same problem in the past. The issuse is not with Citibank but the banking system here. My Citicard has a $5000/usd a day limit, however the atm never allow me to take more than 3000 pesos. have been round and round with Citi but having worked at Citi for many years, good luck...

Back