Paying rent in dollars

Adios_USA said:
How do you figure Xoom to be more expensive than the ATMs? I do $2500.00 USD transfers from my USA bank account for a fee of $50.

50/2500 = 2% (xoom)

If you take 1000 pesos from ATM with 11.56 fee it will be

11.56 % 1000 = 1.156% (atm)

If you are planning to stay abroad for a relatively long time, it makes sense to get yourself a checking account in a bank that does not charge for currency conversions and reimburses ATM fees. Here is a comparison of ATM fees for many banks.

But you left out the $5 USD that the bank charges every time you take money out, in addition to the $11.58 pesos that the banks here charge.... So add $50 to the fees for 10 days worth of withdrawls and you'll see that xoom is cheaper....

Alternately, if you're a CitiGold member, you can transfer money to a foreign account (your landlord, or perhaps a willing friend with an Argentine account) for a $20 fee. Even better, if you're paying dollars-to-dollars, you don't lose any money on the conversion.

Adios_USA said:
But you left out the $5 USD that the bank charges every time you take money out, in addition to the $11.58 pesos that the banks here charge.... So add $50 to the fees for 10 days worth of withdrawls and you'll see that xoom is cheaper....

Depends on your U.S. bank. My U.S. bank does not charge me anything when I withdraw money from an ATM in Argentina.

Hello

I also have a flat that I rent and for I know is not compulsory to pay in dollars I alway receive pesos (this should be stated in the contract ) you pay in pesos as long as you of course pay the agreed amount.

Back