Paying rent in pesos vs dollars

This is incorrect. The central Western Union offices still pay out in Dollars USD. I can give you the addresses of the branches that do just in case you need them. There are also Travelers Checks that can be cashed. Whatever the case may be, these are issues that should be discussed before a reservation is made and before a contract is signed so both parties have the right to walk away if the terms aren't satisfactory. It's called being ethical.

starlucia said:
You can't even wire yourself the money via Western Union and pick it up when you arrive, since WU no longer pays out in dollars.

TheBlackHand said:
Whatever the case may be, these are issues that should be discussed before a reservation is made and before a contract is signed so both parties have the right to walk away if the terms aren't satisfactory. It's called being ethical.

Some people here may not agree, however at this point I don't think expats should be worried about being "ethical" towards their Argentine landlord. When I used to rent I personally was treated VERY poorly by an Argentine landlord, when I complained about leaks, toilets that did not flush, insect infestations, they pretty much laughed in my face. When I complained about the inmobiliaria to defensa del consumidor, they threatened me with lawsuits and to do me harm as well.......how many expats have been burned on their security deposits, the landlord KNOWING they could not do anything because they were leaving the country that day?? Well, time for a taste of their own medicine, sign the contract, then IGNORE the rules and if they threaten you, well, then ignore them. I know not all are like this, but a great majority are.......sorry for the good ones, take it up with your own kind.

Renting a furnished flat in dollars means to me that the owner has to fix all the things that are needed, this should be part of the deal, I rent my flat and when there is a problem I go personally and make sure the fixing has been well done as I don`t have problems not only with tenants but I want to have the place in good conditions.

Hey guys,

I've been reading through this thread and am having trouble with my landlord :( I had already paid the first part of my lease in u.s. dollars and am now extending it for a couple of months. He wants/is demanding it in dollars. I told him "I've spoken with an Argentine lawyer who's advised us that payment in u.s. dollars is unenforceable as well as your price on pesos."

And he replied:
Thats ok. Our agreement is in dollars. Please buy them yourself.

What's my play? Obv. I want to avoid this getting nasty and don't want my deposit to get stolen :(

This thread was written prior to the new restrictions on buying dollars that applies not only to residents but non-residents as well. You simply need to explain that you (the same as him) are now unable to buy dollars but you will certainly pay him the equivalent of the rent in pesos. If he doesn't agree to it, pack your bags and find a new apartment.

And he'll be lucky to find someone who can actually give him the dollars.

Back