Paying Rent In US Dollars

Why all the fuss? Just pay in dollars as the owner wants and maintain a cordial relationship. WHY look for trouble? What is to be gained by being inflexible? During the Menem years I rented and paid the owner in dollars as he wanted. At that time the peso was equal to one dollar. I forget if the contract stated dollars or pesos -- I think dollars. It wouldn't have occurred to me to make an issue of this. There are so many real problems to deal with. WHY look for something?

Because often, getting dollars in cash is a pain in the ass.

It'd be really nice if argentina joined the rest of the world and let people pay their rent with credit cards or bank transfers, but if that were to happen then, *gasp*, it might become a little more difficult to evade taxes.

Most owners I know want it in dollars because they keep their money in dollars. So if the tenant doesn't pay them in dollars, they have to do go convert the money. They're not being difficult for the fun of it.

Most owners I know will accept pesos with a little bit extra put in to cover the cost of then buying dollars. It's always worth it to ask nicely. But again, if the tenant signed a contract stipulating that he or she would pay in dollars, it hardly seems reasonable to then complain about paying in dollars:confused:

When people see their tax money used for the good of the people, when there are decent public hospitals, good public schools, good public transport, livable pensions etc then MAYBE people will be more inclined to pay their taxes. Meanwhile if you live in Argentina you need to accept the reality. If it is such a hassle for you, speak politely to the owner. Maybe you can reach an agreement. If you are so unhappy about it, why did you enter into an agreement with him in the first place?

It is inconvenient, and it's not safe. I have relative flexibility, so it wouldn't be difficult for me to do it. But some people work all day or just don't have the time to spend 45 minutes--if not more--getting dollars. Furthermore, salidera bancaria, anybody? They'll shoot you over a cell phone here. I hate going to ATMs here, and try my best to do so in the subway or in the grocery store. I don't go to casas de cambio because it's obvious what you're doing there, whereas walking out of a bank is not quite so obvious.

PhilipDT said:
What? Do you mean to tell me that is not a fair assumption? Don't ruin my innocence.
Absolutely not.

In Argentina, Nobody evades taxes, Nobody cheats, Nobody picks your pockets, Nobody cons you with a counterfeit 100 peso bill, Nobody ...

Juan Alberto Nobody - I have known the guy for years :D

bradlyhale said:
I don't go to casas de cambio because it's obvious what you're doing there, whereas walking out of a bank is not quite so obvious.
In Chile they are smarter. You find ATMs in almost all Cruz Verde farmacias. Draw your 300,000 pesos, stuff them into your belt pouch, buy e.g. toothpaste or soap, leave with plasticbag in plain view.

We still don't know what cruizes' contract says: U$S or $ - makes it a bit difficult to give proper advice. As we all know, paying in U$S costs el locatorio trouble and money.

citygirl said:
So if the tenant doesn't pay them in dollars, they have to do go convert the money. They're not being difficult for the fun of it.
And if the tenant does pay in U$S, who has to convert the money? (Rhetoric question)
If the contract says pesos, then pesos it is.

Most owners I know want it in dollars because they keep their money in dollars. So if the tenant doesn't pay them in dollars, they have to do go convert the money. They're not being difficult for the fun of it.

I understand that, but still... that's their problem. If they want to keep their money in a more stable foreign currency, it should be incumbent upon them to deal with the hassle of waiting in line at the bank or schlepping to a casa de cambio. I remember the first time I came to Argentina, I was informed that rent plus deposit was due in dollars upon arrival. I was also informed that Argentine ATMs often do not dispense dollars, and that the daily limit is $300 anyway. I asked if I could bring a traveler's check or wire the money Western Union, since I was arriving at 5am on a Saturday (when banks would be closed.) They wouldn't budge, and I had to carry $1,400 IN CASH all the way from Miami. Freaking barbaric.

Back