Paying the Overstay Fee at the Cruise Terminal

NeoWonk

Registered
I never want to take a red-eye flight in economy for the rest of my life, so I'm considering taking a cruise back to the USA in January. The cost is not much more than a business class ticket.

I'm worried about not making it through immigration for overstaying. Does anyone know if the cruise terminal has a bank for paying the overstay fee?

There was a post from 2013 where the person went to Immigration downtown and paid there. He said they give you ten days to leave the country.

Another post said they will just direct you to pay online when you arrive back in your home country - in those circumstances when the bank is not available.

What should I do?

And BTW what is the fine now days?

You can pay the fine at Aeroparque, it's a 10 min taxi from Palermo and you have a couple days grace period to exit the country. Fine is 40K pesos as of a week ago
So there is an office you can go to without going through disembarkation security? Would I just ask for the "Migraciones" office? in Aeroparque.

1. Technically it’s not a “red eye”, just a regular overnight flight - because unlike a LA-NY flight, you’re not covering 9 hours in a 6-hour flight.
2. Last time I paid the overstay fee anywhere, it was 300 pesos, and it was actually easier to pay it at the Buquebus terminal than at an airport.

I'm worried about not making it through immigration for overstaying.
I can only remember one post in the pasr 18 years by someone who was harshly criticized by migraciones at EZE when leaving Argentina and only one who was either banned from reentry for a period of time or claimed to know someone who was banned.

In any case, no matter how long or how many times you have overstayed, inmigraciónes will not prevent your departure.

And BTW what is the fine now days?
Less than 60 days ago Arvest posted this;

"I've talked to expats that have been living here for 15+ years just overstaying. When you leave you pay an administrative fee of ~$30 USD (at todays rates). The fee is fixed no matter how long you've overstayed. They'll go back to the US, do whatever they need to do and then come back as a tourist and overstay again."

Based on Arvest's post the fee/fine would be about $3000 pesos, but it might be higher. Before I found the post, the first number that came to mind as $4500, but I hope that applies to something else (if anything).

Last edited:
I can only remember one post in the pasr 18 years by someone who was harshly criticized by migraciones at EZE when leaving Argentina and only one who was either banned from reentry for a period of time or claimed to know someone who was banned.
And, if I remember correctly, someone (most likely Bajo_cero2) indicated that migraciones does not ban anyone from reentry when leaving Argentina. Instead, they ban whoever they wish from entering the country, for any reason they deem appropriate, even if it's the first time the foreigner tries to enter.

(Just ask Mike Tyson.)

In any case, no matter how long or how many times you have overstayed, inmigraciónes will not prevent your departure.

Less than 60 days ago Arvest posted this;

"I've talked to expats that have been living here for 15+ years just overstaying. When you leave you pay an administrative fee of ~$30 USD (at todays rates). The fee is fixed no matter how long you've overstayed. They'll go back to the US, do whatever they need to do and then come back as a tourist and overstay again."

Based on Arvest's post the fee/fine would be about $3000 pesos, but it might be higher. Before I found the post, the first number that came to mind as $4500, but I hope that applies to something else (if anything).
The fine is 40K pesos, or around $30 something USD as of October 2024

Back