Payment apps / billetera virtual without local bank account

DaxioAxio

Registered
Does anyone have experience setting up and using a payment transfer app (billetera virtual) without a local bank account?

This year there seem to be fewer and fewer shops (especially small ones) that accept U.S. credit cards (Understandable given high transaction fees.) But it's to the point that it's hard to even get basics without going to major retailers. I like the convenience of corner stores and supporting small businesses.

Family members tell me about Prex, RapiPago apps and others. Are there any that work without a DNI and local bank account?

We may have to look into getting a local account. (Spouse has DNI.) But so far it's been hard to justify when coming to Argentina for a couple months at a time each year and considering the limited time we have to get it all set up. But maybe there's not another feasible way (?)

What are the odds! I just got back from the bank where they have helpfully disabled the bill pay feature for bank accounts that were opened with only a passport (no DNI), so now I have no way to pay bills when I am out of the country. Interested if anyone has found some sort of prepaid card solution that doesn't require DNI to pay bills? There's some company online that does it but, helpfully, they have a notice up saying that in 3 months all bill payments need to be done through the bank's app (which no longer works.)

Does anyone have experience setting up and using a payment transfer app (billetera virtual) without a local bank account?

This year there seem to be fewer and fewer shops (especially small ones) that accept U.S. credit cards (Understandable given high transaction fees.) But it's to the point that it's hard to even get basics without going to major retailers. I like the convenience of corner stores and supporting small businesses.

Family members tell me about Prex, RapiPago apps and others. Are there any that work without a DNI and local bank account?

We may have to look into getting a local account. (Spouse has DNI.) But so far it's been hard to justify when coming to Argentina for a couple months at a time each year and considering the limited time we have to get it all set up. But maybe there's not another feasible way (?)
I found this article on Telam that suggests it's possible. But doesn't mention any providers who took advantage of the rule change.

"Foreign tourists can use payment transfer apps with the MEP dollar"

But it's from May 2023, so I'm unsure how relevant it still is.

What are the odds! I just got back from the bank where they have helpfully disabled the bill pay feature for bank accounts that were opened with only a passport (no DNI), so now I have no way to pay bills when I am out of the country. Interested if anyone has found some sort of prepaid card solution that doesn't require DNI to pay bills? There's some company online that does it but, helpfully, they have a notice up saying that in 3 months all bill payments need to be done through the bank's app (which no longer works.)
Oh, that's not good at all. How frustrating

I found this article on Telam that suggests it's possible. But doesn't mention any providers who took advantage of the rule change.

"Foreign tourists can use payment transfer apps with the MEP dollar"

But it's from May 2023, so I'm unsure how relevant it still is.
I was reading about it just yesterday and people were mentioning how this option has not been put into practice by any banks, unfortunately.

If your spouse has a DNI, them opening an online banking app like the ones you mentioned or Uala could be the most practical. To decide which one to choose, I'd focus on the costs/procedure of transferring money or limits on adding cash into the account.

I'm a resident with DNI. During the pandemia, I set up a free account with Banco Nación online in about 15 minutes, at most. It comes with a MasterCard debit card, and the home banking and the app work reasonably well.

A few months ago, there were signs around the city advertising that you could open a free account with Banco Ciudad, so I imagine that that's still an option as well.

You can also look into Bitso app which you can open without dni.. They have a QR payment feature that works for Mercado Pago QR codes. You can fund bitso with crypto.

You’ll need a DNI for Arg billeteras virtuales. I connect my foreign cards and pay via MercadoPago that way.

Bitso international works for QR payments without DNI, but not available to US citizens

Back