US Gov't shutdown and SSA payments

Redpossum

Registered
The good news is, apparently we will get paid on time even if there is a shutdown.

The story above is painfully sloppy journalism, in that the question asked in the headline isn't answered until the 5th paragraph, but it does eventually say-

If the shutdown does go ahead, Social Security payments, which are received by around 67 million Americans, according to the Social Security Administration, will continue to be paid, along with Medicare and benefits for veterans.

So, don't worry, be happy!

The good news is, apparently we will get paid on time even if there is a shutdown.

The story above is painfully sloppy journalism, in that the question asked in the headline isn't answered until the 5th paragraph, but it does eventually say-

If the shutdown does go ahead, Social Security payments, which are received by around 67 million Americans, according to the Social Security Administration, will continue to be paid, along with Medicare and benefits for veterans.

So, don't worry, be happy!

Army veteran here. Glad to see VA benefits won't be impacted, and I actually was relieved to receive October's benefits payment three days ago. The VA officially pays benefits on the 1st of the month, which would be after a potential shutdown begins. However, the October benefits were paid on Sept. 29th since this October 1st is on a weekend, and then my bank (USAA) pays direct deposits two days early, so my October 1st payment actually came through on Wednesday morning (27th).

I always worry when there is a threat of a government shutdown as the VA seems to have frequent glitches even when the government is supposedly "functioning properly." Just a few weeks ago the VA announced that a software error affecting disability claims filed since 2011 wasn't even discovered until 2021 and wasn't finally fixed until just this month, resulting in approximately 57,000 veterans being underpaid along the way. In March of this year, a "processing failure" caused some VA payments to go out 3 to 5 days late for about 280,000 veterans. In 2018, a "series of glitches" caused payment delays of over 30 days for around 10,000 veterans, some for more than 60 days. So it's always a sigh of relief when I see the deposit hit my account on a "good" month, even more so when a potential government shutdown is imminent.

Some breathing room ...

Oh, will you look at that. They decided to take a timeout from their adolescent dick-measuring contest to actually do their jobs. What a surprise.

Color me thoroughly disgusted with both parties and all of congress, at this point.

Oh, will you look at that. They decided to take a timeout from their adolescent dick-measuring contest to actually do their jobs. What a surprise.

Color me thoroughly disgusted with both parties and all of congress, at this point.
only one party is to blame, and, at that, only about 20 dick measurers.

Back