Permanent Residency Interview (Marriage) in the US

jaimito

Registered
Saludos!

I am making tentative plans to relocate to Argentina once COVID is on the wane and was hoping someone may have some feedback. I am married to an Argentinian woman in the US, although we are currently separated and do not share an address, I was hoping to get a general sense of how demanding the interview process is. Beyond the required documents what type of information is typically gone over in an interview? How specific need one be about one's future plans in Argentina?

I did live in Argentina a number of years some 7-8 years back and did rack up a number of overstays and subsequent "Habiltacion de Salidas" on my prior passport, though have visited many times since without problem. Would this come in to play?

Perhaps would a Student Visa be a more feasible/easier way to set up shop?

Very grateful for any thoughts.

Legally married, yet factually living at different addresses in the same United States city.

I don't really remember them asking any questions. Like, almost no questions at all. They didn't even ask me to show proof of financial solvency.

Just legally remarry your wife in Argentina and there's a 99% chance you'll be granted residency unless you're a felon (and even then...)

Edit: I had a few years worth of overstays and stamps and they didn't even blink an eye. You're doing what you need to do to become a legal resident, so I don't think they care.

I don't really remember them asking any questions. Like, almost no questions at all. They didn't even ask me to show proof of financial solvency.

Just legally remarry your wife in Argentina and there's a 99% chance you'll be granted residency unless you're a felon (and even then...)

Edit: I had a few years worth of overstays and stamps and they didn't even blink an eye. You're doing what you need to do to become a legal resident, so I don't think they care.
If you were married in The US - Why would you need to repeat the process in Argentina?

Doesn't Argentina recognize a US marriage of one of it's citizens to an American if the marriage took place in The US?

Never heard of this before - please clarify / explain if you would??? THANKS!!

If you were married in The US - Why would you need to repeat the process in Argentina?

Doesn't Argentina recognize a US marriage of one of it's citizens to an American if the marriage took place in The US?

Never heard of this before - please clarify / explain if you would??? THANKS!!
Honestly, I have no clue.

If Argentina does recognize a US marriage, I assume you'd have to have every single document translated by a certified translator, apostilled by the government, stamped by 5 different bureaucrats, etc.

My instinct is the whole residency process will be 10x easier if you just get legally married in Argentina. Of course, I'm not a lawyer and I could be wrong. But there doesn't really seem to be a downside to having a marriage on record in the country where you plan to live permanently.

I had the same impression El Tigre, upon a successful interview they stamp your passport with the Permanent Resident visa at the Embassy so I think it's done then and there. Did you have the interview in Argentina or the US Matame?

Speaking from experience, I AM MARRIED TO AN ARGENTINE CITIZEN, who also became a citizen of EE UU (Not that, that is important!). We have never had a problem in either country. Our countries recognize the marriage ... REGARDLESS of where it took place. We are married, tied to each other like a ball and chain as far as Argentina y EE UU is concerned.

So that is why, this thread interested me. I didn't want JAIMITO to doubt the validity of her / his marriage regardless of the country of where it took place. I am guessing the biggest hoop to be jumped through would be to produce a copy of the marriage certificate ... most likely translated and legalized for the local government agency / authority in question. They should be able to work from that.

A translated and notarized Marriage Certificate is required as one of the listed documents.

Back