permanent resident status. YES or NO?

nychick

Registered
Hey folks. I am wondering if there are any opinions out there about getting permanent residency status here in argentina.
In my case i would still split my time between BA and the states.

From what I understand, the downside to permanent residence is that I will end up paying taxes on my us income and property both in the US and here in argentina.

The question really comes down to being taxed for ingresos brutos here.
Does the number of days I spend in argentina have any impact on whether I need to declare my US assets to the argentine tax authorities?
Any thoughts?
thanks as always.

Well.. first as I'm sure you know - you would have to start with temporary residence (unless you're married to an Argentine). After 3 years of temp residence, you can file for permanent.

As far as taxes, especially if you're splitting your time - yes, it would be complicated. AFAIK, residents in Argentina have an obligation to pay taxes on their world-wide income, much as US residents do and I don't believe there is an exception based on time spent in country.

I would talk with an accountant to clarify.

thanks. but my question is not about whether i can get residency.. I can. I have spoken to several accountants. all with several opinions as to whether it is a good or a a bad idea. the question for the forum is.. what do you all think? weighing the pros and the cons.. worth it or not? thanks.

Back