Permission to leave Argentina with Child

It appears it's to do with country of residence rather than country of birth.....

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1130.html#entry_requirements

....Children under 18 years of age who reside in Argentina, regardless of nationality, are required to present a notarized document that certifies both parents' permission for the child's departure from Argentina when the child is traveling alone, with only one parent, or in someone else's custody.

One other thing, I had to show my son's birth certificate to prove he was my son when we left the country, but he has an Argentinian passport, I don't know if that would be required for a foreigner...

Celia said:
One other thing, I had to show my son's birth certificate to prove he was my son when we left the country, but he has an Argentinian passport, I don't know if that would be required for a foreigner...
yes Celia.I am British,my son was born here in Argentina and I had to show it too....:rolleyes:

HowardinBA, I'm a Brit too (!), I meant if the child was non-Argentine....it's such a complicated issue!

The Letter of Permission is required for US nationals as well -- so it really does come down to a matter of luck as to whether you are asked for it I guess -- probably if your child looks almost 18, they'll be fine, but if you're travelling with a young child odds of being asked are probably much higher.

" Adults traveling outside the U. S. with children under 18, other than their own, must have a Permission or Consent to Travel Letter from both of the minors' guardians.
"

It is from the Hague Convention for protection against Child Abduction -- especially in these days of intermarriage between foreigners, it helps to make sure that a child cannot be removed from the country without the permission of both parents.

http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=text.display&tid=21

http://www.familytravelforum.com/how/advice/14413.html

So I think unfortunately it will come down to who you get the day you cross the border. Probably nothing will happen, and at this point without a letter it's probably just as much a hassle to try and resolve before you travel as it will be if you do get stopped.

Ah wait -- I just reread that sentence -- here's the key:

with children under 18, other than their own,

So with your own I guess you're ok??? kind of funny, if other country's won't let you travel without the doc but the USA is basically saying, sure, take that kid from the other parent!

If you have residency in Argentina you need a notarised permision. If not (US citizens on holidays) you don't. Maybe you do according to US laws, but they won't stop you here in Argentina.

Before being a resident here I always had the Belgian official permission document with me but they never asked for it. As soon as I had the 1 year visa in my passport it was impossible to leave the country (with kids without husband) without it. And they actually ask for it, every time.

For a child under 14 you need to get a new notarised permission every time you travel, as soon as they are 14 you can get an unlimited travel permission to 3 countries (in one document).

In your case, I shouldn't worry.

How old is he, if he´s older than 14 just send him through alone.

I traveled quite a bit internationally both solo and with either one or both parents when I was under 18.

Got hasseled a few times when I was with just one parent. Got a lot of strange looks, and had to answer a lot of questions traveling alone but never once had any real trouble crossing a border.

I have flown into Mexico, and had the Mexican immigration people ask for this- and Mexico, particularly for Alaska Air flights to PV, is notoriously slack in terms of immigration.
Once.
And flown the same route a half dozen other times, with nary a mention.

Theoretically, ANY country can ask for this, but few ever do.

Its totally random.

Back